Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP)Gas station in the middle of nowhere

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Trojactus polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone so mid work on my portfolio piece I decided to start making this wip thread on what Im going to do,what I did and where are we right now so let me jump in :D .
First of all I started this as a prop but later on decided hey why dont I also make a scene from it to show of the stuff that my portfolio is lacking so I went with it.So lets start :D .So at the beginning the goal was just to make a game ready golf mk2 with the interior.I am a huge fan of forza and love to make cars.Behind this car I made more cars such as toyota supra mk4 my dream car.Why did I choose the beast mk2 golf because its there are 100000 of those in my country and is a legend that could run on kitchen oil it deserved a proper respect !!!.
For the Car itself I went super deep into the referencing and here is what I ended up on:
(There where Even more references but could not fit them all on 1 pic so choose only some of them)

So technical specs about the golf and also lets call him golfe .
1 4k texture for both interior and exterior(I did a small trick working with 4 2k maps and then downscaling them to get better results) and flat 60k tris for everything on it .
Here are some pics will definitely go work on it more if I feel like to but for now It can work.For the scene of only golfe representation I used a scene which I wont use In my last breakdowns and redners,for now just to show you guys mister golfe:

Sungwoo Lee

His artstation here :  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xzoWmr

Again I will go back on Polishing this bad boy but can work for now.Moving on I also made a blueprint for it to have working blinkers let me show you guys that piece as well:

Now to the scene phew this took me a long time to set up for you guys and this will be a long thread I can see haha anyways let me go deeper.
Started with the second reference/mood board want this to have a creepy atmosphere and I know most of it will come from lights .
The reference board :

So I can see there are a lot of variations on these so lets go unique that was my answer.First after the concepts and references the blockout was made :
After this I choose to have a first pass on lights this is super important to me so my exposure does not go weird on me this can sometimes be challenging especially on the night scenes .So thats when I pull out my chart for the moon lighting intensity in lux (choose those in this case) and kinda worked over the ev by the feel over that.
What I got after that:

Spooky but not spooky enough but lets say It can work for now .Moving on on the pic above you can see I made a 
tileable for the concrete and that is made fully in substance designer like the most of the tileable textures on this scene.The easy ones I made directly in the engine and if I see some good ones on the megascan I will use them maybe but looking to stay away as much as possible from that.

Now lets think modular how to make this scene with least amount of draw calls,good results and cheapest options there are.I came up with mixing all of the methods that I know and will use them.Trim decal for the damage needed,floating decal set for cheap way of more decals,vertex painting will be used if needed but I can see where we can do that here to,modular pieces are always a must and that is for now that I have in mind on the methods of attacking this thing.
Oh yea I forgot to mention Im going all in on real time dynamic lighting here since I have already 1 piece that is using fully baked scene and ue4 is used here.

Here is a seamless trim I think I have a good variation and the seamlessness will help also anyone can use it if the want to :D 
And how I use them :

Dont look at the gas pumps yet I made a mistake in baking options so for now those are just placeholders.
There will be a lot of derps i feel haha .

wanted to show that its a super cheap method again those glass behind are just slapped glass i found we are going to go cheap on those as well.
The player wont be able to go in but my plan is to model again the interior really dirty and quick now everyone will ask me why this.Fake interiors cube map interiors will be placed in this scene and those can have very good results if you know how to make them.

More work on props and some textures are coming in as well as changing some stuff on my blockout.I will even do another pass on the building behind just because I dont like it at all does not fit with the rest.And im you guys see some emisive problems Those will be fixed as well its because of my pc tested that out on another rig worked find without any problems but will fix it here as well.
Some lighting functions here used.The blinkers do not use the material function tho they are made to turn on and off over a blueprint

Here is mroe updates on this for the soft concrete im not still happy with it and the floating geo decals are not bleeded just a quick test to see if they would fit here.Most of them right now are just images that i made normal maps and alphas .In future for the damages I will sculpt those and model potholes etc etc so everything needs to be mine and not just slapped on.Why?Because again want to show what I can do.Same goes for the folage will be added as soon as I model it .
Substance designer work what I got right now for the smooth concrete I feel like it needs more noise and less gloss:

Phewww that was a lot.Will do on my free time if I get any but progress is noticed.At least a prop a week would be great we will see .
If you came till here you are awesome :D
Im hoping I did not forget something or made any mistakes writing all of this

Replies