Home Adobe Substance

Trying to make a procedural normal texture (help)

I am trying to learn how to use substance designer and I have a question. I am trying to make a normal texture like this one in the photo below which belongs to Substance Source's Automotive Exterior texture pack
Rear Double Triangle Cataphote.

Something like this that I did on quickly in MSpaint

But I am not getting this result, as the image below the normal texture is not similar, and in rendering only appears as a line cutting the square. Could someone give me a hint or indicate a tutorial that explains something like this.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ZaqSchlanger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZaqSchlanger polycounter lvl 8
    You should be able to get that effect you made in paint by using your grayscale split tile generator as a mask input of a Blend between two Normal Color nodes, one of which is left default, and the other one with the slope and direction modified. Essentially what you are looking at is two different normal directions with different slopes, which is why just running the grayscale though a normal node isn't producing the result. 

I can post a screenshot in a few hours if my description is a little confusing. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    the normal map you made represents two sloped areas - to reproduce it with a height map you need to have gradients
  • gilbr0ther