Home General Discussion

3ds Max Indie ~ (limited to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK or the US)

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    It's about damn time.
    Seriously, they released Maya LT 6 years ago, wtf took so long for Max? Seemingly almost every indie that used to use Max gave up on waiting years ago and switched to Maya or Blender.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Years ago this might have prevented or at least delayed my move to Blender but the underlying main issue with subscriptions is not resolved: as soon as you stop paying all your workfiles are effectively unusable. Might not be such an issue with e.g. Photoshop because there's always a compatible solution available that lets you import a PSD and I'd have no issue with e.g. using Marvelous this way either since that's just a specialty solution that is not essential at all - but with Max as the central piece of software in a workflow and using an entirely proprietary file format this kind of arrangement is not acceptable.

I'd rather not be on the hook of some corporation for years to come, especially when the previous licensing system was just fine.

What's up with these few regions btw - some sort of localization issue?

• HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
    The website does not say much. Is this the full version or is it a limited / cut down version like Maya LT? 
    Also this seems like a reaction to blender 2.80 which has allot of steam at the moment. 
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Yes, all those location restrictions plus a disclaimer that it's for a 'limited time only' don't give me any faith that this is an initiative that they want to succeed. Oh well there are lots of other products to choose from.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Max LT!? and in my opinion quite possibly a reactionary tongue in cheek business model offering by ADSK, astonishing really given their arbitrary decision too kill perpetual licences by 2021.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    The only concept I would accept is a reasonably cheap perpetual indie license or pay-to-own model.

Edit: How cool would be an easy to install, easily runs multitool with great community support and a fresh take on productivity? .. oh wait..
  • .eb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .eb polycounter lvl 12
    @Headclot, I saw you asked in that other thread, I'll just answer here;
    It's said to be the full feature version of Max.
    // I have a feeling they'll start working on an LT version and then expect people to continue paying the same amount for a far lesser product. .. it's ADSK afterall.
    --
    //edit: Perpetual licenses..ahhhh...those were the good ole' days!
  • Ponk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ponk polycounter lvl 8
    thomasp said:

Probably because those licenses are "Limited time only" and will automatically switch to regular licenses after undefined time, then it will charge your card with full price (that is not known at this time). In EU and many countries practices like this are illegal.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    lol shove off Autodesk
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    $649 a year, not too bad; but it's limited time, I guess if you jump on it now and they cancel 3D Studio Max Indie you remain on the indie pricing.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Ponk said:
    thomasp said:

Probably because those licenses are "Limited time only" and will automatically switch to regular licenses after undefined time, then it will charge your card with full price (that is not known at this time). In EU and many countries practices like this are illegal.
    More of a scamming issue then, sounds plausible! <3
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yep, below the big orange button is small text that says:

"NOTE: IN ORDER TO AVOID AN AUTOMATIC RENEWAL AT THE FULL SUBSCRIPTION PRICE OF 3DS MAX, YOU MUST TURN OFF THE AUTOMATIC RENEWAL ONCE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO 3DS MAX INDIE."
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh... they really do tie helpless people to railroad tracks and then stand there twiddling their mustache.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Too late Autodesk, too late.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    They're in damage control mode. The recent(illegal) announcement of the stealing of perpetuals and 2.80's popularity rise has forced their hand, but as usual with Adesk they still manage to piss people off with their corporate bullshit.

These are full versions of the software limited to 100k per annum and single seat per company/freelancer.

Why they are limiting it to 'the last vestiges of bygone colonial days' is puzzling? This is way too late. Max and Maya should have had indie versions 5 years ago. Good old Adesk, always lumbering along and 2 years behind industry trends.....
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    they really need to make this permanent instead of only just 1 year for indie. If you try to do 3 years it doesn't work for indie. I just tried on their site. Could be a bug i duno.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Too little, too late i'm afraid and not even available in my region. This should have been a thing for many many years. Comes off as desperate and a bit hilarious that this coincides with the Blender 2.80 release. It's like in the last second someone at corporate just noticed that there could be a problem on the horizon but yet still couldn't help but add some assholish details in.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I'm feeling the same way as everyone else: too late, I'm mainly a Max user and I could just tell that Autodesk isn't as interested in it as Maya and most studios these days use Maya so it feels like there is less of a point in knowing Max... They should have just done this with Max and Maya from the beginning and got Python support to Max sooner, none of that LT business with cut out features.

I just started using Blender 2.8 and it's going so much smoother than my previous tries, I'm actually really enjoying it and plan on ditching Max after my current personal project is finished.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    The fact that this 'offer' isn't available in the EU tells me autodesk has some shenanigans planned with this license.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    JoshuaG said:
    Youtube search "Blender for Max users."
    Its by our resident @musashidan

• jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    JoshuaG said:
    Youtube search "Blender for Max users."
    Are you using Blender now @JoshuaG ? Congrats on the gig at 343 btw, nice!
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Aabel said:
    The fact that this 'offer' isn't available in the EU tells me autodesk has some shenanigans planned with this license.
    It is? It’s available in the UK. 
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Wesley said:
    Aabel said:
    Brexit possibly? Know it's due in October but planning contingencies for it would be smart if shenanigans were planned.
  • Eric B.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric B. polycounter lvl 11
    I wonder what % of the INDIE users will receive "Audit Letters" during month 1. 
    (obtuse example : https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/got-audited-by-autodesk/1870442/  )

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    zachagreg said:
    Wesley said:
    Aabel said:
    Brexit possibly? Know it's due in October but planning contingencies for it would be smart if shenanigans were planned.
    Do tin hats get passed around for everyone in these Autodesk threads? I missed out. 
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Wesley said:
    zachagreg said:
    Wesley said:
    Aabel said:
    Do tin hats get passed around for everyone in these Autodesk threads? I missed out. 
    Usually yea. Can't say its a large leap in logic though to say a company that currently have it in the terms of the indie license that if you do not cancel you get charged the full amount for a standard license would not make it available in countries where that is illegal. 

As well the separation of the UK from the EU still has legal ramifications for companies and their various contracts/ laws surrounding said contracts so yea the word contingency may be a bit dramatic but still applicable. Not saying they're try to bank on Brexit and corner some odd market that doesn't exist. But I'm also not saying that Autodesk legal team is stupid in regards to their licensing.