Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Critique] New to digital painting, critiques welcome.

Hello all. I've been learning a fair amount of digital painting over the past few months and I decided it's finally time to stop keeping my sketches and drawings to myself and share them so that they can get shred to pieces.  =)

This is one such concept painting of a corrupted wizard that I did recently. Please feel free to leave any comments, critiques and suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! 

Replies

• Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the bottom right drawing, it has a very strong silhouette. I could easily see it in a finished piece in an environment, telling a small story. Ofcourse you don't have to expand upon it, but to me that is actually the best of these 3 images. Simple, yet strong and recognisable/Iconic.

Compared to the two others, I mean. One is just a one eyed floating head? Not much detail or anyhing either. The other is interesting, but a lot of stuff going on, it gets confusing and If I where to just throw it in as a silhouette, I wouldn't be sure what exactly im looking at unless something was simplified or expanded upon. It dosn't seem to have a "defining" feature or a big point of interest. Is it his glowing hands? His glowing mark on the chest? The floating things? The big Crystals on his back? The dark shadowy thing raising from beneath him? It gets a bit confusing, instead of 1 or maybe two big selling points, it's all over the place and destroys the harmony and balance of the pose and character.

At least thats what I see, im not a profesional artist im still studying so take this with a grain of salt I guess, but to me the best and most stand out piece is the bottom corner one :)
  • bed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bed polycounter lvl 4
    Hey first I want to say good job on posting your work to get some feedback! That's definitely the right attitude to have to improve. 

Neat concept! I suggest you just focus on the fundamentals for now since you're just getting started. Once you have a better understanding of them you'll be able to express your ideas much more clearly.

Good luck!

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Concept_Fundamentals