Home Technical Talk

Texel Density and UV Space

Rafal
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Rafal polycounter lvl 2
Hi, guys I just wanted to ask any of you for feedback and answer my question. So I recently just finished UV-unwrapping my model see Fig 1 below it covers 76% of the UV space so there is 24% still left which I'm happy with. However, here is the issue I'm faced with while trying to fill up as much of the UV space I had to sacrifice even distribution of texel density. 

Figure 1:

For example, as my map size is 2k my texel density for the blade UVs (the two big UVs shell at the very top) is 21 and other UV shells have an equal amount of texel density which is 28. Should I break some of the texel density to fill out more UV space or should I make all my UV shells to the same texel density? 

Please note that the only UVs shells that have different Texel Density are the two big ones at the very top of my UV space which has a lower resolution as the Texel density is 21 as compared to every other UV shell which is 28 Texel Density. 

Any feedback/critique and or answers about my UVs and Texel Destiny question critique would be appreciated.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what you've got is fine. As with all of this stuff, having the same texel density is a guide, not a rule.

But you could always test it - throw a checker texture on it and see if the difference in texel size at 2k is something you can live with.
  • Rafal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafal polycounter lvl 2
    @Farfarer Thanks for the feedback here is the difference with the checker map applied onto the model what do you think?

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The question is what do you think? :P

Personally, I'd be fine with that, there's likely going to be more detail in the handle than the blade anyway.
  • Rafal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafal polycounter lvl 2
    Yes, that was the question sorry hehe, Okay cool, I was happy because there isn't too much difference between the two. That's a good point there will be more detail on the handle than the blade. 

Thank you so much for the feedback really appreciated!
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    The whole texel density issue have surfaced few years ago suddenly  because someone thought it looks bad.   Before  when every and each pixel in UV space was countable it wouldn't even be a question. UV efficiency always came first.  

To be honest I am still don't understand why everyone started to care so much bout density.    IMO it's only look better if certain key details look more detailed than what they would be otherwise with equal density. Until it's a huge difference of several times at least.
  • Rafal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafal polycounter lvl 2
    When I was doing some freelance work my client insisted that my assets had to be certain scale, texture sizes and texel density so that everything within the environment was proportional. The key was to avoid over-detailed assets in an environment where the other assets are not the same scale or quality it was a good practice.