Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Game Development

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everyone...I was wondering if someone  could give me some tips to start game programming. I have no experience in coding so I would love it if some of you guys could get me started....

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Most important skill is paying close attention to details.

You missed a couple so far. 1. this is an artist centered forum. 2. there is a subforum for coding. 3. google will return you many answers to this question.

Unity is a good place to start. They have a learn section with plenty of beginner focused tutorials, and the forum there is very accomodating to beginners and full of programmers, mostly.

Also the unreal forums, however unreal works with a more advanced scripting language which may be harder for a beginner.

Microsoft puts out really  good tutorials called "absolute beginners guide to c#", though htat won't be game centric. Still probably the easiest way to get to grips with syntax.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I'd suggest either for writing tools, game mechanics/logic, asset pipeline scripting....etc, getting to grips with an OOP (high level) language as the most fundemental introduction for a novice to acquire, so with that said I'll recommend Python which has a fairly straightforward learning curve for those new to programming and has a broad scope in terms of adoption across proprietry software alongside OSS as well.

EDIT:
    I'll drop some pertnent links as I'm on a phone at work when I've a spare moment that'll provide a general overview.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    tbf - OP picked the right section of the forum and actually, this is probably a good place to get novice advice cos most of us are not proper coders :D

While I'd normally suggest starting with python for people learning to code I think if you intend to make games then jumping straight in with the basic unity c# tutorials is probably your best bet. 

cos... 
    1 - c# is very friendly and readable - it's very explicit and to my mind is far less confusing than python if you're just diving straight in.
    2 - unity's architecture is really, really easy to wrap your head around - this is not the case with Maya  

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

:) Whilst I agree with the above, however middleware entry level code frameworks tend to be native therefore in my opinion not a versatile set of self taught options for a beginner to utilise, though of course once a basic familiarity is assumed then by all means explore further:

Central Python Wiki:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

Programming Add-Ons for Blender 2.8:

http://airplanes3d.net/pydev-000_e.xml

(This extremely informative programming E-Book, is authored by Witold Jaworski. An artist I've followed for years and as a Blender hard surface modeller myself, his precision based Aircraft WIP never ceases too blow my mind...totally SBD Dauntless US Navy Dive Bomber :) )

• Eric Chadwick
    poopipe said:
    tbf - OP picked the right section of the forum and actually, this is probably a good place to get novice advice cos most of us are not proper coders :D
    Originally this was posted in General, moved it here to get the eyeballs of you fine folks! 
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    +1 for just jumping into C# in unity.

Just start on any game system you have an idea for, inventory, dialog or dmg system, and google/read about it and try stuff out. You aren't going to make the best thing in the world straight away, but you have to get your feet wet doing something practical eventually.

There are some free coursera python courses as well, same sort of courses you would end up doing in computer science formal education, if you can't think of some project to do yourself