Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for a full portfolio review. If not aloud here please inform me

jake1210
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
jake1210 polycounter lvl 4
Hello there,

I am here looking for a full portfolio review. I want to know what pieces I should keep and excel on or what I should completely disregard using within it. I do not want anyone to hold back on how they feel about my art and would greatly appreciate hearing what you do like and what is not so much liked. I feel some pieces may be outdated or lacking and I want to either maintain pieces that I can grow on or completely reassemble my portfolio. 
My artstation link is : https://www.artstation.com/jakeglover1210. I would appreciate it if you "roast" away at my work so I can hear the hard truths about where I am going wrong in achieving a professional portfolio.
Again as title states if this is not the proper place to post this please feel free to notify me as I want to make sure I am in the right place.

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    You can improve the presentation of your assets by spending more time on the lighting and post-processing. One way to know if your presentation is good enough is to take a screenshot of your thumbnails and place it side-by-side with the thumbnails in the Trending section of ArtStation. If your work is unable to stand out from the crowd, that means you need to improve the presentation some more.
  • jake1210
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheGabmeister
    Thank you very much for the feedback on the presentation. I also agree I could use some work when it comes to lighting and post-processing. Do you feel the pieces themselves are up to par and intricate enough as well for the industry standard?
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Jake, I think you have a bit more to go until you've reached professional quality.

Revisit the texturing of the handgun and the smg, really push the texturing. They look to be your strongest pieces at the moment. You could leave the newspaper stand in, but you'd have to revisit the texturing of that as well. It's pretty boring but if you really grunge it up, give it that rough part of the neighbourhood slime/graffiti/dirt look, it could be a lot more interesting.

Bate's Motel has a lot of issues in it. The lettering for ICE is backwards on the machine, the lights don't have glowing light bulbs, and there is nothing to focus my attention on. I would take this out. I'd also take out the car, shotgun, bedroom, and trainstation.
  • jake1210
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis thank you very much for the feedback and I can definitely see what you mean by pushing the texturing on these pieces. I was very unsure of the handgun so hearing that I will put more time into that piece. I also agree with the pieces you said have the most issues as these are some of my most dated and I feel I took a bigger learning curve since those. I always felt very off about the foliage of the Bates scene and also the highpolys on some of these pieces could have been approached different. It makes it look bland and flat. I will take this advice and work on the stronger pieces to focus my portfolio on quality vs. quantity. Very much appreciated critiques.