Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Necromancer

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
So I've been stuck on a business trip for 3 weeks and haven't had a chance to sculpt anything in Zbrush. Decided it was a good chance to try out hard surface modeling in Maya and clothing simulation in Marvelous. I reused the base model from a previous project I scrapped, for now atleast.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good! Keep it up!

Crits:
    - careful with the tiny sharp details, if you're baking normal maps those details might not capture well. I'm mostly looking at the thin indents on the pointy bits of the last image.
    - You've got some clipping issues, usually where the cloth meets the armor bits, you'll want to get those sorted out. The points that cloth attaches to armor and armor to the body is important and factors into the mid-range details that you're starting to get into. Obviously you're still WIP but you don't want to wait until too much later because they can cause major shifts in your design and affect details that you put time into fleshing out.

Good stuff, I look forward to seeing more!
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty good! Keep it up!

Crits:
    - careful with the tiny sharp details, if you're baking normal maps those details might not capture well. I'm mostly looking at the thin indents on the pointy bits of the last image.
    - You've got some clipping issues, usually where the cloth meets the armor bits, you'll want to get those sorted out. The points that cloth attaches to armor and armor to the body is important and factors into the mid-range details that you're starting to get into. Obviously you're still WIP but you don't want to wait until too much later because they can cause major shifts in your design and affect details that you put time into fleshing out.

Good stuff, I look forward to seeing more!

Thank you for the critique! I will definitely take these into consideration, especially the sharp points one. Most of clipping will be fixed in Zbrush once I can start to more easily push and pull with my actual Cintiq and not my mouse and keyboard.

You're absolutely right about how the cloth and armour is going to connect, I'm thinking of having pins/buttons modeled out for the cloth portions and so far the design I have is that the back plate will connect all the metal parts together.

Thank you again!