Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Sci-Fi Corridor

I just put the final touches on a piece I've been working on for about the last month or so. I'd love to get some of your guys feedback on how I should go about pushing it forward. I actually got a lot of the inspiration for this piece from this polycount thread  and of course the concept that this piece was based off

My goals for this project were to create a Sci-Fi modular kit in UE4 while trying to learn some new workflows and just trying to do some more "technical" stuff to buff up my portfolio. 

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Artstation for this piece: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQL5WE
My Website/Portfolio: https://hiredanny.today

Replies

• CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Were you going for a stylized look?
    You should consider changing your font as well, its really hard to read.
  • LuchaDan
    CybranM said:
    Were you going for a stylized look?
    You should consider changing your font as well, its really hard to read.

Nah, I wasn't actually going for a stylized look but i liked that concept art a lot and thought it fit the bill for the Quake-ish style environment I wanted to make.

I suppose the font is a little hard to read too but I just kinda fell in love with the font when I found it and wanted to use it on everything lol. I'm more than likely going to do some more iterations on this piece so I'll change it next go around. 
  • LuchaDan
    Aye, I actually made some decent progress on this homie since the 24 days-ish I tried to upload this piece. I sort of took a step back from it for about a week or so and watched a bunch of Blender Guru tutorials on lighting (which are really good if your in the market). just so I could sort of come back to this piece with some fresh eyes. Then completely redid the lighting and made a lot of small tweaks to the materials and masks.

I think the next step for me is to go for another material pass on this piece and get a bit more usage out of the decals I have all over the main engine piece and spread them around just a bit more. It's just sort of hitting me now that I'm writing this that I'm not really using them as much on the other pieces.

• Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know how close you were trying to get it to the concept but the proportions are quite far off in your version which just causes a bunch of additional problems haven't really been addressed. Some quick points:
    - The middle cylinder of the machine is way fatter than the one in the concept and in general just a lot bigger than the door. 
    - The door is a lot smaller compared to the rest of the room in your model and as that's one of the only things towards the scale of this in relation to a human it looks massive.
    - The geometry needs a bunch more refined smaller shapes to sell their massive scale. Right now everything is looking very big and chunky.
    - All your decals are massive and betray the supposed scale. A few of them don't seem to be serving any kind of purpose beyond just a generic 'more detail'  purpose.
    - The lighting looks pretty poor as it's difficult to find somewhere to focus your eye and the contrast is pretty harsh, especially compared to the concept.
    - Your version is lacking a lot of the smaller things form the concept that makes the whole scene just flow together a lot better. Like having panels that echo the shape of geometry that feeds into them for instance.

Just some quick, honest feedback.
  • LuchaDan
    @Nosslak Hey, thanks for the feedback I actually really appreciate it. Like the proportions stuff is so obvious to me now that you pointed it out and the adding detail for the purpose of just adding more detail is something I'll also address. August is looking to be a funky month for me due to personal reasons but I'll definitely look to implement all if not most of your feedback when I get a chance to come back to this project.

I don't mean to blow smoke up your ass but i genuinely really appreciate the honest feedback and I'll definitely update the thread once I've made some decent progress on the project!
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    I'm glad you appreciate the feedback, some people really don't like my bluntness.

I think the biggest problem might be that you haven't had a human character in your scene to check the scale and/or you haven't walked around in it in gamemode. Of course I don't know if this is true, but judging by how some of stuff like bolts look like they're almost as big as a characters fist it seems likely.

The concept is really nice so f you could get this more in line with it and soften out the lighting this is going to look great.