Home Marmoset

Problem with dark metal in Marmoset Toolbag 3

Footloose93
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Footloose93 polycounter lvl 2
Hello :)

I have a problem with my metal stairs. They are way too dark, much darker then in Substance Painter, where
they are quite... metallic. Here they are black.

I have ticked of SRGB at both metal and roughness map and both are picked correctly.
At least I guess^^

When I change GGX to none it becomes even darker.

This is how it looks in Substance Painter

Obviously it is a problem with my scene lightning. I've got the trial version two days ago so I am not very fit in it.
The metal becomes better when I am increasing the amount of light, but it becomes overlighted before the metal
looks as it should. Any ideas how I can fix this?
Btw. if you have other tipps for my scene feel free to comment ;)

Kind Regards,
Toby

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    What is your Sky HDRI and brightness set to? 
  • Footloose93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Footloose93 polycounter lvl 2
    I do not use sky HDRI, I just use lights in this scene.

I changed some stuff in the scene, which means I changed the lights to spotlights from the ceiling
    and also changed the stairs material until I found a solution.

That is how it looks now...
    As mentioned, I changed the stairs until there is a solution, as I doubt the problem could continue with the next similar object.

:)

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The difference between Toolbag and Substance here is likely a difference in lighting. For metallic surfaces, all the color comes from the reflections, so the look of the surface will largely be depending on what sort of reflection data your light sources create.

In Substance, you're using an HDRI panorama to light the scene. The reflections there are coming from the HDRI. In Toolbag, you've turned off the HDRI Sky Light, so you don't have any ambient reflections. This means the only reflections you'll get are from the direct lights (spot, omni, directional).

You can see this very clearly where the stairs are shadowing the light - the reflections are shadowed in that area, and since there are no ambient reflections, the result is a black surface. Generally you'll want to mix some ambient Sky Lighting with your direct lights. You can try turning on Local Reflections and GI in the render settings too, to get reflections from nearby objects.