Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity character package -- recreation of Bruegels "The Wedding Dance"

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
For my next game, I'm going to try increase profits by also offering the art content as a package for the Unity store. Two birds one stone kinda thing. The goal artistically is to make a nice looking, hand painted recreation of Bruegel's "wedding dance" painting, while the goal technically is to keep the entire scene optimized for low-end hardware. The goal from business perspective is to be able to complete 2-3 characters per day, including rigging.

The final package will have 10-15 characters rigged in A-pose but also an artistic pose to mimic this scene below. I will use some duplicated characters with alternate textures to get the variety in the background.

So far I did test with first character, the dude in the foreground center. He is 3k tris, and took four hours to do. I would like to improve my hand painting skill, which will just require more practice, but I am also considering to use marvelous designer. I think that might complicate the workflow and make things take too long, but I'm just gonna try and see. Likely I can get a good result simply by leveling up my painting skills.

For final rendering, I will use the newest version of Unity. I believe I can get the oil painted look with standard shader and some tweaking in the post process stack, but I'll look into some special shaders if neccessary. Making a game to look like a painting like this may require turning off shadows altogether and faking everything with hand paint. I dunno exactly how it might work, will take some experiments, but would be nice to eliminate a lot of the heavier rendering stuffs to target that largest majority of steam user's with low-end hardware.

Replies

• ► J0Y,귀엽다™
    Offline / Send Message
    ► J0Y,귀엽다™ polycounter lvl 2
    What a beautiful low poly character you have made there! 
    I think this is the first time I seen somebody try to re create a medieval painting with game art elements. 
    I really like the idea of combining traditional art with a new medium like computer graphic.
    Low poly characters for a piece like this is perfect cuz' the painting itself doesn't have that much details to the human body either. 

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks! Yeah I've seen a few artist do really cool styles where the final 3d model looks like a 2d painting and wanted to see if I could accomplish that in Unity. However, this project is way on the back burner as I'm working on a game right now.