Home Technical Talk

Max 2020 and Zbrush 2019

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
I'm a long time max/zbrush user, and one thing that's really, really important for me is having a functioning goZ to send stuff back and forth between the two programs. For a long time I didn't upgrade my max version from 2016, simply because goZ seemed to break when I upgraded and none of the new max features were really worth it.

Well, thanks to a security fault in older Autodesk software I'm being forced to upgrade and yep, looks like goZ is completely unusable for me.

3ds Max will now collapse (and reset the xform) on your goZ mesh to an edit mesh as soon as you hit the goZ button. This is an undoable action, which means any modifiers you had on the object are now completely destroyed. Let's say you modelled a bracelet by using the curve modifier. You send it to zbrush and realise that actually you want it a little more curved now, well it's impossible to make any changes now because the bracelet has been irreversibly collapsed down to an edit mesh. Any mesh that has a material assigned with a texture will also error out and not be sent to zbrush until you've removed the material.

Objects are being brought into 3ds Max with a pure white material with a very high specular, making it pretty much impossible to work with the mesh unless you assign or remove the material. The scene background will also be set to pure black.

If you're using 3ds Max 2020 and zbrush I'd love to hear if you're having similar problems. A working goZ is so essential to my workflow that I cannot understand how more people aren't talking about this. With any luck it's a local problem, although knowing autodesk this seems unlikely. I honestly may consider switching to blender unless I can get goZ back to how it was...

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You could copy the meshs before running goz (or write a script that does it then calls goz for you before deleting the copies).
  • CapableWizard
    Offline / Send Message
    copying the meshes is what I've been doing so far, writing a script is a great idea too, thanks!

It's not really a long term solution however because goZ will create a new object in zbrush (it sees the copied mesh as a new mesh) which you'd have to routinely delete and manage (I'm not sure you'd be able to automate this in a zbrush script either). You also lose out on the re-projection functionality in zbrush (which I'll regularly use to add loops or mess with the UVs in max, and automatically have my detail re projected.)

All I really want is for the same features that existed in 2016 to work in 2020   :/
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Its probably treating it as a new mesh because the name is different on the copy then the original mesh (copy then edith the meshs name, past the pre-edited name to the copied mesh, export, then undo name changes). But yea needing to rely on a script to fix another script would be horrible, so hopefully someone has a better solution.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I gave up on GoZ many years ago. It's always been bug-ridden with Max. Grab yourself the Styx plugin for $5. After 10 minutes you'll wonder how you've managed all these years without it............... :D

• Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Stuggling with this actually. Max can handle objects with the same name so i dont get why goz doesnt snapshot your object before exporting, and keep intact your original model (or even add a name suffix). Also if you have several project with same objects name, goz gets confused between objects and you have to clean the cache. It's not greatly designed.
    Does styx support polygroups and polypaint ? Because that's the main advantages of goz over regular obj export.
  • CapableWizard
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyHertz I don't think the name is what zbrush uses to identify the object. At least I've tried storing the method you've suggested and it tends to append it as a new tool. I'm not exactly sure what goZ is doing behind the scenes but it doesn't look like it's using the name unfortunately  :s

@musashidan Thanks for the suggestion! I've bought Styx and am giving it a go as we speak. I'm really liking it so far and it's so much quicker than goZ which can be really slow when you've got a few hundred subtools. I'll need to get used to it but I think it covers all the things I'd use goZ for, I can use max/zbrush again, so thanks so much for that!

@Noors It looks like styx supports polygroups. There are actually two options, one to export without polygoups and one to export with them. The developer mentions the polygroup version can cause issues though, although I think that's referencing Maya more than max. It will retain polypaint when you change the mesh in max and import it to zbrush, I don't use polypaint all that much myself so I don't know if goZ did anything more than that!
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I use Styx purely for transfering just the mesh so I never use it for polygroups/polypainting. The power of it for me is that it preserves the scale perfectly every time.....forever..... :D essentially giving me the power of Zbrush's tools within Max. It effectively combines Max/Zbrush into a single application because it's that simple and fast to transfer and really proves it's worth if your workflow is like mine, constantly jumping between Max and ZB throughout an asset build. Best $5 I've ever spent.

I still see people posting on these forums with convoluted workflows to get Zbrush scale to work in Max and I will always be sure to do them the favour of setting them on the Styx path.