Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retrogasm Contest - Samus aran

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DerpingTimmy polycounter lvl 8
Hey polycounters!

I've joined the Retrogasm contest on Facebook and figured I can post it here as well, It will be a 3D model but as I am also doing a bit of concepting I figured I can share it here as well for that :)

For the ones who don't know, Retrogasm is a contest of taking a 6 gen character or older and recreating it with current day standards with any style given.

The character I have chosen is Samus Aran from the Metroid games. I'm recreating her as if she would be made for PC / console current day.
The idea is to stay true to her original design and redesigning it in such a way it doesn't change the original much but adding in extra material definition, layers and details. Such as leather padding, buckles, extra aggressive shapes etc.

So far I am in my first week and before I do any 3D I want to have a clear vision of what I want her to be like.
I still think I can twist the design further, maybe give her something unique outside of the Metroid series. As of now these will suffice for the 3D blocking but would love to evolve her further with some story telling.  

Would love to know what you all think and ask for feedback here on her design and start a conversation ^^ 

Replies

• DerpingTimmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerpingTimmy polycounter lvl 8

Hey polycounters! Here is my progress from couple of weeks. 

I managed to get her suit blocked out, was quite a challenge with so many ideas popping up but i managed. However, the design will most likely change quite a bit from here, especially her hand cannon as its just a wip from the original concept art. Ill be making my own design for this as well.

Everything is still all dynamesh so its very dirty geometry, this week Ill be focusing on clean up and getting it ready for the high poly before the weekend hits.

As always, feedback is more than welcome