Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] IK chain won't show in game

I'm trying to create a simple animation for a game and decided to use an IK limb solver on 1 of the arms. I collapsed the IK bones and deleted the IK chain. Everything looks fine in max but, when I test the animation in-game, the arm stays motionless. What am I missing? 

Edit: The game's Skyrim Special Edition and I'm using 3ds Max 2012 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    First thing, summarize your question in the topic title. For example [3ds Max] IK chain won't show in game. This will pull in more people who know rigging.

Secondly, which game engine? And how exactly are you exporting/importing out of Max and into it? Each game has its limitations & best practices.

Third, which version of Max, which version of the game engine. Things change from version to version, bugs are add, bugs are fixed, etc.

I suspect deleting the IK is your problem. But most game engines only import FK animation, and if you want IK in-game you usually set that up inside the game editor.
  • Larry_Marso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I shall do that! Thank you 

As for the info:
    The game's Skyrim Special Edition (which uses the Creation Engine), I'm using 3ds Max 2012 with the niftools plugin (so I export/import the file in kf and convert it to/from hkx through hkxcmd)

If I may ask, how do I properly delete the IK?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I'm not up to date with that particular pipeline, but one thing I've done before was to export the full IK animation to FBX, then reimport back into a fresh scene.

This collapses everything into simple FK, which usually is better for a game exporter. Worth a shot. 
  • Larry_Marso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I exported the animation to FBX (checked the "bake animation" box and left the other options untouched). Then I refreshed 3ds max with a new scene (keeping the objects) and reimported the file. I removed the ik chain and proceeded to export to kf. So far so good but, when I open nifskope to check the animation, the kf file I exported is empty. Either I made some mistake or the niftools plugin is to blame. 
  • Larry_Marso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I figured out what I was missing.. Once I have collapsed/baked the animation (regardless of the method) I save the animation motion. Now, if I simply load said motion (or import the FBX file) on a new scene, the exported file will return empty. However, if I import a random animation first and then overwrite it with the saved motion, the file will export as intended. 
    There's probably a better way to do this but it works and that's enough for me.
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated.