Home Technical Talk

Detail work or texturing?

I'm relatively new to some of the workflow for creating environments so I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere. I am creating a swamp scene and in it, I am trying to create a broken down wood shack. I am creating the rough block out in Maya, but to do the details(things like broken panels of wood or cracked pieces) should I do that inside a sculpting program like Zbrush or using textures with substance painter/ designer?

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    what is often done is you sculpt your wood pieces, make a tiling texture out of it, and then also bake some individual wood pieces, which you can then put on important places or wall corners to stick out and give that extra geometry to make it looks like it is all individual pieces.
  • User_Generated
    Thank you very much for your response I didn't know I could create a tiling texture in Zbrush thank you for the information. This will help tremendously in my workflow! Are there any more tips on what might be some things to avoid doing with my tiling texture and/or once inside substance designer?