Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[need help] CGMA Character Creation For Games

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys... let me introduce myself first. I'm Piotr and I've been working on my 3D skills for last couple of years, still searching for that entry level job in 3D.

-not so brief introduction-

My goal is to be a character artist, all the way until the last year I have been working on characters but could never get to look satisfying. Under advice of another artist i went and spent last 8 months working on props as at a time there was a lot of positions for prop artists and it was good way to fill up my portfolio and improve my modelling/texturing skills.

You can find my props here: https://www.artstation.com/aydhe

However after spending last 8 months on props and getting my portfolio up to date, i want to get back to working on characters.
Unfortunately i feel like I've hit a roadblock when it comes to characters and don't really know how to progress... worst part is that i can't tell what is it that I don't know but i feel like i'm missing on some important aspects when it comes to making high-poly model of characters and understanding the efficient workflow.

-end of not so brief introduction-

With that in mind i would like to take part in CGMA course but in the past i took an online course already and ended up really burning myself in effect. I would really appreciate if you could guys give me some opinions about it as what i'm really looking for is some quality 1 to 1 feedback with industry seniors that could help me.

Here is the character I am currently working on:
https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-legend-of-king-arthur/challenges/67/submissions/46169

Also please find some older characters in post below.

To scroll to the bottom click on this text, there's a lot of images and i cant seem to make them smaller

Replies

• Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Which of these are concepts that already existed?

For what you have right now, I get an overall sense of "flat," and this is irgnoring the facial expressions.  Also, the designs you've chosen are not attractive.

The akimbo pistol lady
    - Folds and wrinkles don't read well and don't seem accurate.
    - Face, design wise, feels boring.
    - Weapons need a detail pass: edge scuffing, roughness noise, finger prints, rust, water damage, sun damage, etc.
    - I'd want close ups of the face sculpt to get a sense of the anatomy handling.
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Which of these are concepts that already existed?

For what you have right now, I get an overall sense of "flat," and this is irgnoring the facial expressions.  Also, the designs you've chosen are not attractive.

The akimbo pistol lady
    - Folds and wrinkles don't read well and don't seem accurate.
    - Face, design wise, feels boring.
    - Weapons need a detail pass: edge scuffing, roughness noise, finger prints, rust, water damage, sun damage, etc.
    - I'd want close ups of the face sculpt to get a sense of the anatomy handling.
    anatomy on the akimbo lady is broken on so many levels, face planes were not really defined and it's just baaad.