Home Unreal Engine

Creating lines and surface for in-game, similar as Google Earth

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Cg_Creator polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,

I m looking at different techniques to be able to create lines and surfaces following terrains.
Please take a quick look at the video I created using Google Earth, the idea is to be able to do exactly the same thing.

Select between 2 buttons to create lines or surface, "unlimited number of points". Left click to create points, right click to stop the action.

Looking for infos to figure out how to do it, or depending on the level of complexity, hiring someone to get that interactivity setup.

Thanks for the help guys as always, and looking forward for some replies, or send me an email (my email is easy to find if you are not a robot), just put UE4 or something in the ref.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    A line trace (ray cast) from the given point towards the terrain, and then drawing a spline would work.
  • Cg_Creator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you the only one on this forum actually helping out, as I remember you guiding me for the last issue I had. Really appreciate it, tho a bit more specific information about it would help as this don't really give me enough info to be honest. About how to set this up using blueprint or using alternative ways, as well as closing the polygon as it follows the terrain...
  • Cg_Creator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess you are, and will probably need to hire someone to get this setup.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    That is pretty simple actually! As Obscura said, just use linetrace, after first click store its position, then either dynamically trace cursor projection on terrain and use that to construct linetraces for spline points.. As you click you just ass new points to spline mesh from linetrace result between each click with incrementing offset distance. Setup mesh on spline mesh component and you can optionally setup material in a way that it will draw in overlay mode so whole line will be visible even if it passes below or behind terrain.