Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some feedback

Before I get into explaining these models, I just wanted to say that I invested so much time into being an Environment Artist. 
I did this because I couldn't get the swing of Organic Modeling. These are not the first attempts at designing characters... The first few were terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE... not that these are "really good" by any stretch.

These characters were made for my personal game called: Portal Horde - A low Poly Top down crawler / Arena wave game. Also, In order of completion, to show progress.

For a better look, https://sketchfab.com/Lowpolyprincipal/models

Common Enemy Minion - Note: Wasn't comfortable with Human form, so I covered it up by making a skeleton - Which seemed to be right between Organic and Hard Surface modeling. 
Made with Blender

Mini Boss: First attempt at compete Organic Modeling, Managed to get the general shapes, but was still having trouble with mid section so I made 
him extremely exaggerated to cover my shortcomings.  
Made with Blender

Human Assassin: The second attempt at Standard "Stylized" Organic modeling. I managed to get him all there with a lot less trouble, but noticed later how small the shoulders looked, which made me go back and really emphasize my style by making him more "Stylized" - Big hands, Feet, skinny limbs... etc.
Made with Blender

T pose
This Screenshot is one of the menu BP's in Game. Meant to be comical, or similar to Sea of Thieves Character / Tavern Menu - Obviously not from this angle, but you get the idea.

Made with Blender

Playable Character: Knight
I spent a lot of time on this one... This is my Playable Character that actually has a shield as well, though I ran into complications with the Bitmap.
This is the farthest I have gotten in my study, benchmarking my ability as of recent work.

Made with Blender

Made with Blender

Maybe I'm currently along the lines of perfecting the topology, or just getting better at that in general and coming up with better ideas. Before it was; "I can't even get this to look like a person". My anatomy and organic comprehension was just so bad that I felt like I was wasting time by making characters. I don't think I'm looking to be a Character Artist at a company or anything, I'm just currently making my own games. BUT, I know this community doesn't hold back. Give it to me straight, am I getting somewhere with these or should I stick to my Day Job? 

Thanks so much for your time!

Replies

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    The easy answer is if you have found it more enjoyable than environments, stick with it. 

But overall as you are doing stylized stuff right now it is hard to judge as what should I compare it to? Give us a benchmark you want to reach and then you can get a discussion. One thing though I think they all lack right now is color variation in the texturing and unique silhouettes. They have a very stickman feel to their profiles. 
  • Newfang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The easy answer is if you have found it more enjoyable than environments, stick with it. 

But overall as you are doing stylized stuff right now it is hard to judge as what should I compare it to? Give us a benchmark you want to reach and then you can get a discussion. One thing though I think they all lack right now is color variation in the texturing and unique silhouettes. They have a very stickman feel to their profiles. 
    Excellent feedback and thank you. I think I understand what you are saying in regards to the silhouette. That makes sense. As of now, I would say that I don't aim to produce AAA Ubisoft character (realistic) as I have always taken to the stylized games like Fable or WoW. I specifically went out of my way to make characters look like that. While I do understand that it can be a mask to hide imperfections. At first, hyper dramatic features were ways for me to cover up my shortcomings, but I think I like staying in the realm of "cartoony", even after having better understanding of anatomy modeling methods. I guess I could say my goal is to get to provide characters for mobile games or even a top down PC crawler. I struggle with creative armor ideas. I am working to craft better armor at this point. Either I appreciate the feedback.