Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MTG fan art: Zendikar Plains

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
panicpancho polycounter lvl 5
Hey, everyone, I have been working on an environment piece inside Unreal based on the awesome work by Vincent Proce on Magic The Gathering, especially by one of the plains cards in the Zendikar expansion. Right now I'm working towards finishing my set dressing, I'm planning on also adding some moss and replacing the cloud planes placeholders that I have right now. And I would love to have some feedback from you guys, especially on the lighting and look dev area, there is still a lot to be done but I want to pause my progress a little bit and see what you guys think about it! I have also a question about grass in big quantities... unreal is not allowing me to bake because of the amount of grass on the environment, is there any way to bypass that?

Replies

• panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Replaced the grass mesh and values and played around with moss shaders. Tree is just a placeholder for now. I still need to change the cloudplanes and add maybe more foliage like flowers or ferns
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update: I remade a bit the composition and added some elements to the image, I'm planning on adding vfx on the focal element to the left, like an energy ball or something like that.  
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update on my mtg fan art: after all the feedback, I have decided to change a little bit the composition using the big structure as the focal point along with a detailed hedron near the camera. The scene has the previous lightmaps, therefore the ground is a bit dark but I will fix that on the next test bake. Other than that I added some debris to add some story to the scene, like if the big structure was hidden underground. I'm also planning on adding some chains using houdini to add more composition lines to the scene. Any feedback is great and thank you so much for your help!

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hey I really dig your choice of concept and you have got the major elements down which is nice.
    I think you are missing some things though which makes the card art amazing. I think you should push the contrast and lighting a lot more, but also get in some more color vibrance. I also think you could work a bit more on the scale, right now the geometric shapes feel small and not ave inspiring. 
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thank you so much! you are absolutely right! I will try to bring all of those elements to the piece, I'm actually experimenting a little bit with the composition based on the key elements of the original concept and see if I could create a new piece with that or if I should go back to the original idea. I'm excited to see how this unfolds hahaha. Thank you so much for your feedback!!
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small experiment I did this morning to get a new perspective on composition and lighting
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I preferred the one with a grass plane, the scale of things is even harder to read with this render