Home Technical Talk

Is ZBrush perspective camera correct now?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Is the camera in Zbrush correct now? I have been reading about ZBrush camera being different from cameras in 3dsmax, Maya or Blender and because of this when sculpting likeness the 3d model's porportions will be incorrect when imported to these 3d appliactions.
What is the correct focal length to sculpt in ZBrush? 50?
If I recall if u are modeling a head using orthogonal views, perspective should have a focal length of 90 in Blender, 3dsmax or Maya, right?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There was a thread about this about the time 2019 just released, I don't think there was a definitive yes but more a general "it's better, but it still ain't right."

About focal length and sculpting, I'll say the same thing I've said then : I've seen very different answers from several top artist. (gnomon videos and such) So my conclusion is, there is no standard way, but the safest thing to do is setup your workflow so that you can easily shoot your sculpt over to toolbag or whatever your render engine is early and often to account for any discrepancies between programs. I learned this technique from watching Georgian Avasilcutie's twitch stream.

I think sculpting in ortho mode is generally discouraged. Personally I don't see a reason to work in anything besides the same situation your final render will be in.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i actually work in  ortho a lot as the camera view in zbrush is so weird.
    I can always tell if one of my head sculpts is looking bad by looking at it in the front ortho view and then export it to max or whatever to check further.
    thats just me though, i jsut do what work s for me:)
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info guys :- )
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apart from the camera, what about the lights in Zbrush viewport? are they good enough or u still need an external program renderer.  Does this mean BPR isn't good enough?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Good enough for what, exactly? They're good enough for sculpting and displaying a sculpt. You can get some decent renders & illustrations from it too (non-photorealistic). But its all still done in screenspace / faked using spheres rather than lights with actual coordinates, so you're not going to get photorealistic renders and materials from it. 
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In blender, u have studio lights, matcap and eevee mode. In eevee mode, your light remains static as u move the camera around to sculpt forms. I was wondering if the light moves as u move the camera like sudio lights or the light is fixed on the sculpt even if u rotate the camera. Like in the real world if u set up a light on your clay sculpt and move around it to sculpt the forms. No worries mate :- )