Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

How to batch import/export fbx files

plastik85
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
plastik85 polycounter lvl 3

Hi,

I am a scripting newbie and I was wondering if the following thing is somehow possible to do in Maya: I have more than 100 animation fbx files of a character (just bones animation info with no mesh) and I have to add a root bone to each of them.

I already managed to make a script to add that root bone with just one click as soon as I import one of those fbx. Now the problem is that they are so many that I'd like to batch all of them.

So the process would be: import fbx, make the changes and export as fbx.

Does anyone know how could I try this or where to find more info about this?

Thanks!

Replies

• boba3d
    Offline / Send Message
    boba3d polycounter lvl 10
    Why you don't use Motion Builder for this task? It's quite simple task for Motion Builder. MB is able to load multilpy animation files, add joint on the hierarchy and batch export.
  • plastik85
    Offline / Send Message
    plastik85 polycounter lvl 3
    Hey boba3d, thanks for the idea, but so then MotionBuilder also can have the "add root" script to batch it for all the animations?
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    So.... 

Maya can be a bit weird with fbx export. 
    You can use the file command to import and export but you can also use the fbxexport command for export.  I'd usually suggest the latter for export. 

Adding the root will be simple-I don't know the commands off the top of my head  but ten minutes with Google will sort you out.