Home Adobe Substance

Substance Alchemist to Painter, material looks different

19ulrich90
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
19ulrich90 polycounter lvl 8
So I'm working on this material in Alchemist, and I want to import it into Painter, just so I can export it with custom preset. But material and maps look different. Height map is adding to normal, and height map itself looks completely different exported from Alchemist, compared to 2D view from first picture. If I disable height channel in Painter, material looks the same, but than exported height map is flat grey color....

Alchemist

Painter

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    If you use the height in painter, make sure to deactivate the normal channel, as the height is automatically converted to normal so you have twice the normal details.
  • 19ulrich90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc hey, thx for reply, but with normal channel disabled, height enabled material looks like this

With normal enabled, height disabled it looks right, same as in Alchemist.

• 19ulrich90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc I guess my main question is, should I be able to create material in Designer/Alchemist, import it into Painter as sbsar file, and export normal and height map at the same time, preserving them as on import, without them adding on each other...I hope I'm making sense...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The simple answer is to disable either height or normal outputs before exporting the sbsar or fill height with a 0 value. 
    We do this with all painter materials in our studio's library as it saves the users a headache
  • 19ulrich90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @poopipe thx, for reply, but I wanna be able to export them both from painter...I'm talking about maps for tiling materials...I guess one way would be to export maps with height disabled, and additionaly export just height...I'm just importing material into painter to have custom preset and naming done for unity, which I can't currently do in Alchemist...
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Then just export the height since the normal is derived from the height in painter anyways. So just height going into painter and normal and height being exported from painter.
  • 19ulrich90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zachagreg should normal come out completely identical?...I did a check with "Rocky And Sandy Ground" material from substance source and there's a small difference. Am I nitpicking? :D 

Exported with normal channel only turned on

Exported with height channel only turned on

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Looks to me like the height export is sharper, real test would be to see if there is any visible difference in the final product either in painter or unity (preferentially unity) if one looks better in your opinion just go with that option. As Jerc pointed out they just get doubled up so whichever one you prefer lookwise in unity will be the best going forward for you.