Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept artist Portfolio looking for critics !

Apophis
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Apophis polycounter lvl 9
Hello Guys, 

My name is Paul, I've been wondering around this forum for years now looking for inspiration and tips, but that's not until recently that it hit me ... 
I could ask for Critics here and maybe get some constructive advices ?

Anyway I'm a former 3D character artist, I was an heavy Zbrusher for 3 years until I found out that The real pleasure I was getting from that was creating and ideation. 
So here I am trying to found a place in the Concept art industry, and seeking for almost any first experience I could found.
Of course if you take the time to look at my portfolio you'll see that most of the stuff I do is character related.
But nonetheless I've done few spaceship and props design that I may need to upload to. 

And yes i'm well aware that the lack of really nicely paint pieces is probably the biggest weakness of my portfolio ... (working on it)

Anyway feel free to comment any critics are more than welcome.

Here is my artstation    https://www.artstation.com/paul_chanut

Thank you very much in advance !!

And some more sample of work not upload yet : 

PS : Sry for my English but you know ... i'm french so :#

Replies

• Meliodas_draws
    Offline / Send Message
    Meliodas_draws triangle
    Hi this is my first portfolio piece from my personal project "THE MUGHALS" 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3oBgmE
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Hi there! I can relate to your motivations as recently I had been considering whether to pursue 3D Character Art or stick with my original passion of Concept Art. I am leaning towards Concept Art right now as I agree that the feeling is more satisfying and creative. :)

For the first alien design, I know it is probably not done yet, but consider rendering out the top part like the bottom. Is he supposed to be an alien schoolboy? What is he holding (a gun or some alien creature)?

I like the robot design, the line art looks great. For the yellow one, probably try to play around with areas of rest versus areas of detail. It looks like it's a bit busy on the front parts with the grunge and on the arm right now.

Wish I could really give good critiques since you seem to have some more concept art pieces than I do currently. If I could offer some constructive comments, for example the "gun" there, try to find some good references of guns in the genre or game you are inspired by, and try to design the silhouette in a more practical shape (such as being able to easily grip the gun). Also, it is a little unclear as to what kind of gun it is (what projectiles does it fire?). Perhaps if there was a better visual readability and clarity of its function would be great. Hope this helps :)
  • Apophis
    Offline / Send Message
    Apophis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey thanks for tacking the time to answer, I guess you get my frustration haha, about the gun this is actually for and alien hand that I didn’t put there ... so It’s designed for him to grab it ^^.
    I have much more polished pieces if you follow my ArtStation link though :)
    May I see your concept art pieces ? Because There is only 3D projects in your artstation ?