Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Environment Diorama in progress

Mica_P
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Mica_P polycounter lvl 4
Hey Folks, I'm pretty new here but figured i would post updates of my process on this in the hopes of getting critique. 

So awhile back i made a hero asset/fountain/statue. And recently I've gone through the process of re-texturing it. While i was doing this i realized i wasn't wholly happy with it as a standalone piece and wanted the chance to experiment with foliage so ive concepted up a little background for it and am working on getting it put together. 
Original concept: 

Original textures for statue: 

New textures for statue: 

Concept for environment: 

The statue is based on a dnd pantheon god of my homebrew campaign,  domains of chaos/ magic/nature
I wanted to combine these elements with a lush environment on the magically floating/ fractured island. I am trying to mimic the pose of the statue with the tree, and have chosen a tree with yellow blossoms to work opposite of the purple/magic 

Collected references: 

I picked out my plants, im using the method of sculpting my leaf/plant parts in zbrush and extracting texture sheets from there. So far I have completed all the low growing plants, i just need to bring them into substance and make a more specific roughness map, ive been making some crude rigs jsut to put simple animations on the plants to mimic wind 

Im happy with my development of the island at this point but want to rework the tree as i feel its computationally pulling the eye away, despite that ill be adding leaves/flowers/branches that will obscure that line later. 

This is a pretty slow process for me currently as im teaching myself about foliage/tree creation as I go. 

I plugged in my plants today to get a look at how things are seeming in unity thusfar. I suspect lighting is going to be a fun challenge with this one when I eventually get to that point. 

Scene currently: 

The lighting is a bit strong here, I'm hoping to use the tree to cast some dappled shade whether that's through a cutout spotlight or some other method I'm still working out. I've got a bit of a particle effect going for the water, and I keep iterating on things, i need to drop the rise in my island where the statue sits as its currently clipping through the base of the fountain which isn't ideal. 

my intent is to generate some mountainous/jungly terrain in the distance for a backdrop and use fog to get a proper sense of depth. I'm not sure how I'm planning on doing that yet, whether to use worldbuilder or pull from googlemaps data or use unity's built in terrain generation still remains to be scene, ultimately I think ill be going whatever is fastest as it wont be the focus for this piece

If you all made it through all that id love any critique or advice, I'll keep updating this thread as I go. 

Thanks!