Home Adobe Substance

Ugly normal maps in Substance Painter (need help)

arkaneXXI
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
arkaneXXI polycounter lvl 8
Hi people.

I have these models:

And I want to do the Normal Map and AO in Substance Painter. The first model looks like this after the baking:

And this is the result with the second model:

I can correct the problem in the frontal faces increasing the "Max Frontal/Rear Distance" on the Baking options. But that cause errors on the perpendicular faces (look on the edges):

It seems the problem happens in the deepest areas of the high poly model because the baking doesn't reach them. But if this is the case... why the problem affects to the tire too? In both lowpoly models, the tire is the same. The only way I know to solve this is mixing two bakings on Photoshop (one with low "Max Front/Read Distance" and another one with high). But I would like to know if there is some way to solve this without wasting time doing two bakings and using Photoshop.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• arkaneXXI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    arkaneXXI said:
    Hi people.

I have these models:

And I want to do the Normal Map and AO in Substance Painter. The first model looks like this after the baking:

And this is the result with the second model:

I can correct the problem in the frontal faces increasing the "Max Frontal/Rear Distance" on the Baking options. But that cause errors on the perpendicular faces (look on the edges):

It seems the problem happens in the deepest areas of the high poly model because the baking doesn't reach them. But if this is the case... why the problem affects to the tire too? In both lowpoly models, the tire is the same. The only way I know to solve this is mixing two bakings on Photoshop (one with low "Max Front/Read Distance" and another one with high). But I would like to know if there is some way to solve this without wasting time doing two bakings and using Photoshop.

Thanks in advance.
    This is best fixed by using a custom cage. 

there's a description here: 
    https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Baking_Models_with_Substance_Painter_Workflow
  • arkaneXXI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sprunghunt
    Thanks for replying, but the baking improved a lot after attach a tube behind the wheel:

Now, the result looks like this:

It looks much better now, but this was just an accidental solution and I cannot be attaching elements to a model everytime I have this problem. Besides the areas that looked bad before, don't look perfect yet. You can see the bolts look a little "pixelated", like having a low resolution, but I baked the textures with a 2048x2048 resolution and a 8x antialias. Anyway, I can solve that little detail in Photoshop.

Anyway, I'll read the link you sent me.
  • arkaneXXI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem solved. Thanks for the reply.