Home Technical Talk

What was the Softimage's Polygon Reduction algorithm?

It's 2019 now. Though Maya has integrated Softimage's polygon reduction algorithm since 2014, it seems that the algorithm doesn't get revised.

Is there any chance to know what algorithms were using for Softimage's polygon reduction? Is it published in a paper? When did it be implemented? 

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I remember being pretty impressed with it in 2008 or so. Seemed miles ahead of anything else.
  • changkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing said:
    I remember being pretty impressed with it in 2008 or so. Seemed miles ahead of anything else.
    Which polygon reduction works the best in 2019 in your perspective? Still Maya aka Softimage's algorithm?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    no, InstaLOD is best IMHO.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Looks like that produces only triangles like most of these tools? To me the interesting part of the reduction function in Maya is that it allows to preserve quads.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I've just got my 1 year InstaLOD seat this week and tested it in both Max and Maya. Pretty decent results for a few clicks, but the topology in all the tests I've ran haven't been the best. Amazing for non-hero/Lods/draw call optimisation, though. Nothing else like its features for practically no work involved.
  • changkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting. How to get a download to try it out, looks like you have to contact them first to get the product. There is no download button on their website.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @changkun You have to apply, fill out an application and then you may or may not get approved for the 1 year free seat. It's at the discretion of the process.

There is no demo you can download.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    You should check out Houdini's poly reduce node, as it also allows preserving topology:

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kio Houdini is about as close as it gets to the basic auto Remesh/unwrap/bake process in InstaLOD. 
  • changkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @changkun You have to apply, fill out an application and then you may or may not get approved for the 1 year free seat. It's at the discretion of the process.

There is no demo you can download.
    Thank you! Just applied.
  • changkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kio Houdini is about as close as it gets to the basic auto Remesh/unwrap/bake process in InstaLOD. 
    Are they use the same algorithm? How do you evaluate a polygon reduction algorithm?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If you're interested in the algorithms themselves  then download meshlab and play with it - last time I checked it had a number of them. 

You've basically got two approaches at present.  Decimation and voxelisation

Both systems are pretty dumb - they're not interpreting the shape of the mesh in any meaningful way beyond changes in surface direction so you really need to feed them information. 

Most decimation algorthims appear to work on basically the same idea - areas to  protect are defined (uv seams, material boundaries, user defined edges etc.) and it tries to protect them, other bits basically get trimmed down by proximity and curvature. 
    The major differences between tools are in how you mark up areas to protect. 

Voxelisation involves turning the mesh into a volume and then generating a skin over it (basically dynamesh ) - this tends to result in "cleaner looking" topology and is the better way to go on very high resolution geometry. The downside is that it won't maintain uvs etc.. And it won't inherently optimise flat surfaces etc. 

Zbrush, simplygon and houdini can do both,  instalod seems to be on par with simplygon although I've not used it so can't say how it works.

Results from Zbrush decimate, simplygon decimation, houdini mesh reduce and proOptimize in max are similar enough that I'd treat them as interchangeable with the caveat that Zbrush allows the best manual control, houdini the best procedural control and simplygon the best one click results 

In terms of how you evaluate - try them out and see what fits your use case best.