Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Light Sword Attack Critique

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello! Im recently starting to animate and i would like to get better. I am doing a set of combat animations for a character and would like some critique if someone is willing too!

Here it is:

Any feedback is deeply appreciated! 

Replies

• JazzmastaJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there - first thing I notice is the rigidity of the animation. On the anticipation, the attack arm shoulder remains stationary while the arm twists and turns. Try moving the shoulder up to add secondary animation.

Next, it seems that you have put all the keys for all the controllers on the same frame for the stop (the end of the attack). If you take some of the controllers and offset them there will be a more natural and weighty feel. For example; foot hits ground first, then torso controls move forward few frames later, with arm dragging even further behind. That would be keys on controllers that are overlapping each other instead of striking the key on the same frame. The animation could also use a little more follow-through after the attack hits. 

It seems like you're off to a good start, it's not bad, it's just rigid. Make sure you're getting up and acting out the animation and paying attention to small things like the movement of your shoulder, your hip vs your clavicle, etc