Home Technical Talk

How to apply details to the jacket? ZBrush , Maya or Substance Painter?

Hi, I just finished modelling jacket from CP2077. As Im quite new to modelling I would like to aske you how should I apply details like zipper and stiches through normal maps to my lowpoly model. Should I try model it in maya or zbrush and later bake it in SP? Or just try to hand paint it in SP. How would you do that? Thank you.

Replies

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    It really depends... people tend to do both/either. I'd personally put as much as I can into the HP (and therefore LP) - particularly the main zipper and the larger folds/creases, as they often have much more silhouette impact than you realise. I'd then probably do stitches and smaller creases in substance, but be sure to use Anchor points and such.

Ultimately though it depends on where and how you prefer to work, experiment a bit!
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    yeah, if its your first time, try all the ideas. They all have merits for different situations. Probably easiest way for zippers and buttons is to add them in MD. It's got simple tools for that. Then you can bake them into normal map, or perhaps retopo into simple shape and bake onto that for more depth (like if you were doing realistic close ups.)
  • mattmaks
    If I would like to make zipper in maya and later bake it in as normal map and object's edge flow doesnt fit the pattern(I mean fore expamle, sometimes edge is lower, sometimes to much to the left) so I cannot simply extrude,then how I should do it? I tried to use separate object based on curve an LP model but it didn't work so well.
  • mattmaks
    It seems to be so much easier and faster to do in SP. Here is a result.