Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Bastion of the Noct (WIP)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
LaikaUplink polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, I've been working on creating a Simon Stalenhag inspired scene, using Quixel DDO for handpainted oil pastel textures, trying to get as close to his style as possible. Any sort of feedback/criticism is greatly appreciated as I really want to improve and rework my current scene. I'm having a lot of difficulties figuring out the lighting values of the original image and trying to convey a similar lighting tone as I feel my scene as of now is rather flat. I'm not sure if the basalt columns fit into the style of Stalenhag, since a lot of his work seems to be vast landscapes, in comparison to a quite blocked off and enclosed exterior environment.

Thank you very much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asHT8ifze74 
(Short Cinematic Fly-through)

Main Composition Shot

Close-Up Hut Shots

Tachi Mechanoid

Stylized Render of the Pods with Handpainted Albedo Map

My main image of inspiration, trying to emulate a similar lighting scheme. - https://simonstalenhag.tumblr.com/post/118268546207/the-cargo-cult-series-part-one-and-kickstarter

Replies

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I think your idea that the basalt columns are limiting is correct.

What draws me to the original image is the contrast between hard rocks and the water/ocean. The rocks themselves also have very little vertical variation, and what variation there is is pretty  sharp and chiseled looking. Your rocks have a ton of vertical variation, since they're columns, and they also feel kind of mushy and blobby. With regards to the water, it would be very cool to have a waterfall or water element in your scene too.

I like the render style of the stylized render. What if you did that for the whole scene?

With regards to lighting, the original image has a pretty strong directional light with some ambient light filling out the rest of it. Your image just feels washed out in general. Can you get more contrast and directionality in the lighting?

My biggest issue with your main render is the composition. You have two equally interesting elements on either side of the image, so there's no obvious focal point and it's not super pleasing to look at. I'd rethink this so that one element recedes into the background a bit more/is smaller/takes up less visual space, if that makes sense. This could also be achieved with lighting, if one piece of the scene was more in shadow. 

I think this is a cool idea and concept and your hero models and texturing is solid, just needs some polish to bring it to that final stage!