Homeโ€บ Career & Education

How long do you think it takes for a senior 3D artist to make a model like this?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
I mean from scratch to a textured, retopologized, in-game usable asset (no animations/rig).

Replies

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say 7-10 working days at a sustainable pace would be a pretty safe guess. It could be faster or slower by 2-3 days depending on how aggressive the deadline is or how late the artist was up the night before. :P
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Does working day = 8 hours? Does aggressive deadline means crunch? Meaning more than 8 hours? In average work day, maybe only 3-5 hours are high focus work though right? I've read a little from artist working in studios, that usually they are only getting in like 4 hours of high focus work between meetings and other stuffs. Is that the kind of work day you would base estimate on? (seems impressively fast if so)

Probably overthinking this, but I'm curious too. And I'm sure it varies heavily depending on artist and what's going on in environment.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, working days is 8 hours with minimal amount of interruption for meetings.

You could reasonably assume 6 hours of focused work with 2 hours for meetings, stand ups, emails, Polycount/AS browsing, YouTube, and lost work for crashes. ๐Ÿ˜›

Aggressive deadlines donโ€™t necessarily mean crunch hours. You can work at a faster-than-normal pace and still put in only 8 hours of work. It may not be sustainable but it sure beats longer hours.ย 

Every studio is is different though in regards to interruptions throughout the day. What might take 7-10 days to finish in early production might take longer or shorter in late development phase.