Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment/Level Art - Undercover Car Park

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Thomas Doig polycounter lvl 5
This was my first environment in UE4. 
I gained so much from this personal project, and feel environments are something I would like to explore more and continue to develop and refine my skills in. The environment is actually the undercover car park at the unit complex where I live. 

Before Starting this environment I was't sure how everything came together when making 3d environments. This project allowed me to experiment with modular pieces as well as decals, something I had never done or understood very well in the past. 

As always I'm proud of my achievement and feel ready to move onto bigger and greater environments from the lessons gained here.

Would anyone care to share thoughts or opinions? I have developed tunnel vision from working on it so much,and although it's finished I might be able to get some more feedback from some skilled/experienced people on here.
Thank you!https://youtu.be/O8J-2NV3Hqo

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    You can add more decals to the walls on the second screenshot. They look too uniform.

Looking at references of underground parking areas, your walls seem to be missing a baseboard, a component used not only for decorative purposes, but also as an indicator of breathable air during a fire emergency.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Do you have some references you were working from? The piping stands out a bit odd, I'm not sure why though. I think you should place some decals of rubber markings on the floor. Would also look nice if your walls had a skirt to them. I feel you could grunge up the pillars a bit because they look a little to white. If you stuck a nice car in there, it would give a point of interest. Other than that, looks good!
  • Thomas Doig
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheGabmeister, I was not sure if I was going over board with the decals (this was my first time to use them) so I understand what you're saying. Is there a standard for how many decal to use? I used heaps. We don't have any baseboard either....I'm starting to wonder if this is a difference because of country??

@Ashervisalis The piping is not exactly accurate but does represent for the most part what we have at our unit complex. Please see the attached images from some of the photos I took. Regarding a wall skirt, our car park doesn't have one :( 
    I think adding a vehicle or two would help but Ignored the impulse and possibly etc work. I will look into using an old model I have laying around, as I don't like using other peoples work in my own (silly of me to think this way?) 

Thank you guys!

• TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    @TheGabmeister, I was not sure if I was going over board with the decals (this was my first time to use them) so I understand what you're saying. Is there a standard for how many decal to use? I used heaps. We don't have any baseboard either....I'm starting to wonder if this is a difference because of country??

I see. Maybe it does differ per country.

After looking at your reference, I understand now why you made the walls I pointed out to be that way.

One other thing you can improve is the reflections on the floor. Maybe you can play around with SSR to achieve this effect:

• Thomas Doig
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheGabmeister, thanks for that tip I will certainly investigate as this is the first time I have been introduced to this term, being new to ue4.