Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4] Counter Strike Fan Art: De_Aztec Remake

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
anguedrew polycounter lvl 4
Hello Everyone!

I'm actually new to remaking old maps as a level assignments.

I'm looking forward for everyone's insights towards my results and possibly learn from ya'll as well.

Here is my progress for my first block out. I did the concept art as well just to grasp at least the initial design
I'm tackling.

Replies

• anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Questions:

1. Is it necessary that all assets/models to be made should be a potential procedural/modular?
    2. If for example you are going to make a modular wall to be reused over and over, is it important to unwrap
    it in a way that it'd be seamless once it'll line up with the other wall? I wanna have an established idea towards unwrapping
    modular assets especially considering that same textures should have same texel density. 
    3. In terms of texel density, should modular assets depend its texel density to other assets all the time?
    4. Should modular models be precisely modeled along the grid lines of UE4?
    5. I have a question about scaling and grid lines but I can't formulate it for some reason. But basically, I need everyone's insights
    about modelling in the ideal scale or grid spacing considering they'll be procedural. Especially in the blocking out stage. Should
    I be concerned about the precise grid alignment at this stage?

These questions may be for beginner's but it'll really help! Thank you everyone!! 
  • Pureadimelograno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pureadimelograno polycounter lvl 2
    anguedrew said:
    Questions:

1. Is it necessary that all assets/models to be made should be a potential procedural/modular?
    2. If for example you are going to make a modular wall to be reused over and over, is it important to unwrap
    it in a way that it'd be seamless once it'll line up with the other wall? I wanna have an established idea towards unwrapping
    modular assets especially considering that same textures should have same texel density. 
    3. In terms of texel density, should modular assets depend its texel density to other assets all the time?
    4. Should modular models be precisely modeled along the grid lines of UE4?
    5. I have a question about scaling and grid lines but I can't formulate it for some reason. But basically, I need everyone's insights
    about modelling in the ideal scale or grid spacing considering they'll be procedural. Especially in the blocking out stage. Should
    I be concerned about the precise grid alignment at this stage?

These questions may be for beginner's but it'll really help! Thank you everyone!! 
    Hi Andrew nice start in the blockout!
    Here is my take on your questions, based on my experience working in a studio.
    1. No, but a modular approach in most cases will save you a lot of time. Even for organic models like trees it's way faster to model a couple of branches and trunk variations and make a kit rather than sculpting each tree individually, even if you only have one tree in your scene.
    2. Yeah if you know the wall will be duplicated in any direction make sure the UVs reach the edges, that can be laterally or vertically too.
    3. This is a bit tricky if you plan on scaling the modular pieces, I personally prioritize filling up the texture space and try to break up the modular assets into large and small, the small ones can then have the UVs in the same texture with each other.
    4. Only in the direction you are planning to snap them, for example a bench might be useful to make it exactly 2 units wide if you are planning to duplicate it and make it longer but it doesn't matter too much how tall it is. When you are given the choice though it's always nice to model following the grid (for example make the bench 0.5 units tall, instead of a random number).
    5. Yes, try to visualize how your modular pieces are going to snap to each other, but don't worry about tiny spaces in between them or making them perfect yet, leave that to the lowpoly stage. If at the end your models are still not perfect don't worry, geo can intersect without too many issues, of course this not advised but it's quite common.
    Hope this helped! Personally I learn the most by practicing, start with simple environments and have fun!
  • anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much! This will definitely be something I'll read over and over! Stay tuned for more updates! I'm currently doing a new block out.

Oh! So in terms of Blockouts are you using any specialized software for that specific task or is your go-to 3D package is enough? And so at this stage, do you have any specific concerns that has to be nailed down at this stage? Basically, what should I worry about most of the time while doing blockouts, besides thinking about how they fit proceduraly?
  • 3DKlassen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen polycounter lvl 4
    I can't wait to see where this goes! I use to play CS in the early 2000's and remember this map very well! I would love to see some added detail and props. That is where this map lacked back in the day. Barely any props within the level.
    I'll keep my eyes out there for your updated posts, cant wait to see how far you take this!
  • anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen said:
    I can't wait to see where this goes! I use to play CS in the early 2000's and remember this map very well! I would love to see some added detail and props. That is where this map lacked back in the day. Barely any props within the level.
    I'll keep my eyes out there for your updated posts, cant wait to see how far you take this!
    ehy! Thank you so much. I'm actually redoing the blocking stage right now. I really wanted to get that wide area space which I currently lack in the mock stage.

Yeah your right! Thats why I chose this map because theres just a lot to improve on. Even the map itself is already a block out stage. LOL fingers crossed on this one actually. smiley 

Heres the new block out by the way.

• Dreyzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie polycounter lvl 3
    I'm happy to see you're including the courtyard in your scene. It's an iconic part of the map and I'm excited to see your progress. 

Are you using any size reference from the CS map, or just eyeing it using the height ref inside Max?
  • anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreyzie said:
    I'm happy to see you're including the courtyard in your scene. It's an iconic part of the map and I'm excited to see your progress. 

Are you using any size reference from the CS map, or just eyeing it using the height ref inside Max?

Hello! Thank you.

Heres another progress shot of the block out and conceptualization of possible tileable scale and procedural design.

Yes! it wasn't my first choice actually. This was suppose to be a mini scene of the previous post's concepts. But when I tested it in unreal, it didn't felt aztec-ky enough. I guess you can never call it a Counter Strike map if you can't roam around it. I'm not sure if I'm going to include the rest of the map. Lets see how this current area goes though. 

In terms of scale, at first I got an image from google and just perspective matched it while considering standard player size which is
    178-180cm. The result of the first scene though turned out a bit claustrophobic. I ended up redoing a whole block out.

Aside from player size, I ended up establishing floor size and wall size which is 300cm x 300cm. Its a bit tricky though since I have to consider my procedurals should end with 0 assuming they should snap in Unreal's grid system.
  • anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tested my procedural walls and floor with a quick Substance Brick Material. This area seems decent enough for a quick lit shot. Wanted to get a sense of scale via detail when roaming around.

Question.

This might 've been answered ages ago but how do I prevent my displaced mesh from blinking? Its really annoying when I start to move my camera further from the displaced mesh. Is there another way of displacing that prevents such error?
  • 3DKlassen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I was browsing AS when I came across this! Have you seen this? This was done by a Lead Artist at Quixel!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRdX0L

Just wanted to share it with you, when I saw it I immediately thought of your project here :)
  • anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen said:
    Hey, I was browsing AS when I came across this! Have you seen this? This was done by a Lead Artist at Quixel!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRdX0L

Just wanted to share it with you, when I saw it I immediately thought of your project here :)
    Actually this was the reason I got the idea of revamping a CS map!! LOL I specifically  chosed de_aztec because it felt it didn't had the same treatment(quality-wise) as de_dust2 had back in the old versions of CS.

Looking forward to get if not better than this, at least its at the same bar. :smile: Aiming for a less photogammety feel though. I want mine to feel more handcrafted in terms of materials and assets. Fingers crossed!!

Oh and thanks for sharing it back as well! :smiley:

• 3DKlassen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha I was wondering if you had seen it or not!
    I agree with you 100%, Aztec definitely did not get the same LOD as Dust, dust II, Assault, Inferno, or Train
  • 3DKlassen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any updates on this?
  • anguedrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen said:
    Any updates on this?
    Hi Klassen.! Been awhile. LOL wasn't able to be consistent from there. But I didn't stop my learning since then. Currently doing a beach scene. Now. Been learning allot lately what with substance designer and been modelling a lot of assets lately. Hope your doing well mate!