Home Technical Talk

Smoothing Jagged Mouth Vertices In zBrush

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Deqa polycounter lvl 9
How can I smooth the ends of my mouth loops in zBrush? I want the ends of the lips to conform to some type of axis instead of just sticking out like this (messed up the mouth loops with Move Topological).

Is this avoidable if I just extrude the mouth loop backwards so the mouth has an interior, which I can then use to smooth my mouths' loops onto in case the ends of the mouth loops start sticking out like this?

I guess something like this could work in preventing the edge loops from being destroyed. 

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't end the mesh at the lips, give your base mesh a mouth cavity of some kind.

That will help to avoid the strange boundary issues you're seeing.

Your mesh also looks incredibly dense around the lips compared to everything else. I'd try pulling out a few loops there.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    yeah having an interior is best but one thing you can do is adjust the smooth brush settings in brush menu. Cant remember exact name but something like 'connected edges' will allow you to average out border edges like that. Probably won't give you exactly what you need but good to be aware of.

• Deqa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deqa polycounter lvl 9
    Farfarer said:
    Don't end the mesh at the lips, give your base mesh a mouth cavity of some kind.

That will help to avoid the strange boundary issues you're seeing.

Your mesh also looks incredibly dense around the lips compared to everything else. I'd try pulling out a few loops there.
    yeah having an interior is best but one thing you can do is adjust the smooth brush settings in brush menu. Cant remember exact name but something like 'connected edges' will allow you to average out border edges like that. Probably won't give you exactly what you need but good to be aware of.

Okay, thanks guys!