Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bruce Wayne bust - The Animated Series - Real time model

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EvilSylvanas polycounter lvl 3
Hello guys, today i want to show you my speed sculpt that "went wrong"
Here is the end result of that journey : 

One day i decided to do some speedsclupt and choose Bruce Tim's concept art. I started from a sphere although i wanted to start from a base mesh bust (which could be found in a polycount wiki section) but i wanted to make it more challenging, so i kicked myself from a "comfort zone" and started sculpting using a sphere. I gave myself only an hour (since it's a speedsculpt) and when time runs out, i was happy with a end result.

After that i looked at the model, and said to myself "it's pretty good... maybe i should finish it ?" but the rules of speed sculpts is that you have to stop working with a model after estimated time. Anyway after a few days i looked at the model again, and  once again was pretty happy with the result, so i said to myself "what a heck... i need to finish it" and so here we are.

There is plenty of room for an improvement of course but i think i did pretty good job. I weren't able to capture likeness of concept art at 100%  but there is a resemblance, and what most interesting is that he reminds me of Batman from Animated series. Although it was the same artist, and same art style, Bruce Wayne on this concept art  are looking different from how he looked in that show (depends on the season of course)

(Bruce Timm concept art)

So in the end a valuable lessons were learned that day, that getting of out comfort zone maybe scary but also it's rewarding, not always though . And speed sculpt is a good thing to do on a daily basis.

Hope you'll like my little article and the model.

Cheers !

Replies

• krwhitenight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so cool! I am super new to modeling, so I have no idea how to even begin modeling a bust like that by starting with a sphere. What program are you using for this? I am just learning how to use Maya. 
  • florianmking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so cool! I am super new to modeling, so I have no idea how to even begin modeling a bust like that by starting with a sphere. What program are you using for this? I am just learning how to use Maya. 
    Zbrush is the way to go when you're talking about organic modeling.
  • EvilSylvanas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilSylvanas polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks ! Like @florianmking said, i'm using ZBrush for sculpting. If you want to create head/bust like this in Maya you should choose different approach, like for example, setup image planes and model on top of them.