Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Freezing when Exporting, Importing

Beton_Brut
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Beton_Brut polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I'm working in version 2018.1 on Windows 7 and trying to save my sculpt, but anytime I save or export the document, the main ZBrush window freezes, the cursor turns into a white cross, and the popup window never appears. I can see "Export Mesh..." as an application in the task bar and task manager. If I close it, then it ZBrush works fine, until I try to export again. I also tried to import in the same document, and it appears to have the same problem, as if anytime ZBrush generates a new window the program freezes. Has anyone run across this?

EDIT: I was eventually able to save the project when I forced the application to quit on task manager. When I reopened ZBrush, it allowed me to export. Maybe that's the best solution at the moment.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    the cursor turns into a white cross, and the popup window never appears

This sounds like zbrush isn't actually freezing, rather it is successfully opening the new Save As window somewhere off-screen, then waiting for you to finish the prompt. You might be able to fix this by resetting your Windows resolution and Zbrush UI so that Windows isn't trying to work with multiple monitors. Otherwise, when you first start Zbrush adjust the size of the window so that it isn't full-screen (so you can access the taskbar), then try to save. You should see a new window appear on the task bar for the save dialogue. Right-click on it, choose "move", then either try to click and drag your mouse or press the arrow keys to try and nudge it back onto your screen. 
  • Beton_Brut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beton_Brut polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you! I feel a bit silly that the solution was so simple. ZBrush will often not have this issue until I've been sculpting for a while. I opened it right now and the Export/Import windows popped up correctly, but given the past, I know this won't always be the case. I'll give it a try again when the issue surfaces. I am working off of multiple monitors, so it might be that ZBrush is trying to compensate.