Home Technical Talk

Small softwares that can be used to boost workflow?

Elarionus
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Elarionus polycounter lvl 3
So a while back, I found Modo and got pretty excited about it, but since then, I've been finding other, smaller softwares even that just supplement a 3D workflow. Rizom UVs was one that I'm excited about and may purchase, as well as Moi3D for its weird conversion where I can apparently take Fusion 360 models and turn them into actual game models (along with some really interesting modeling methods that it has available). 

Oh, and XNormal, of course. That was interesting.

Both Rizom and Moi3D were not big names, and were not things I had ever heard of in the industry, or heard my professors mention. When I stumbled on them, I was surprised that they weren't more widely used. Are there any others like that out there, or just any small pieces of software that may help me out?

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Try CrazyBump. It can be useful when you're in a hurry at texture creation.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Rizom Unfold3D has been industry standard for 10 odd years. It's only more widely known now because it was rebranded/marketed.

2 of the most useful tools I've been using in recent years that are indispensable to my workflow are PureRef and Styx plugin for Zbrush. I've also started with Blender 2.80 in the last few months and it's fantastic. The Blender single low poly mesh/no high poly bevel bake workflow is a gamechanger for me. I've also just been accepted(today) into the InstaLod free seat for a year so I am extremely excited to test that workflow out.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    The UV & Texture suite, TexTools plugin by @renderhjs, is a absolute godsend that streamlines an otherwise tedious chore in particular the former would for me typically evoke, especially when working on complex assets.
  • Elarionus
    Offline / Send Message
    Elarionus polycounter lvl 3

That one sure looks interesting! What's the advantage of that over Substance Alchemist?
  • TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Elarionus said:

That one sure looks interesting! What's the advantage of that over Substance Alchemist?
    Actually, my guess is that when Substance Alchemist is officially out it will be go-to app when generating quick maps from images. Based on my research, CrazyBump used to be very popular back in the day. Then, Substance B2M came out, and eventually Alchemist will replace B2M. There's also Quixel Mixer.