Home Technical Talk

Hotel VR Experience

Reece Whittingham
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Reece Whittingham polycounter lvl 4
I was approached the other day to create a VR experience for a hotels function room. As i have no experience creating a VR project I thought I would stop off here for some tips.

First off, the project im planning itself is pretty basic, a 360 degree fixed camera with a few different room presets and layouts however i'm worried about performance issues of a semi-realistic VR experience. Obviously it would depend massively on the system the hotel used to run the project but I have no idea what the minimum specs of the system would have to be for it to run smoothly.

Secondly im not well versed in the different kinds of VR headsets other that the Vive and Occulus but I know there are cheaper alternatives out there. I doubt the hotel will want to fork out £600 for the headset as well as whatever I quote them for the project. Does anyone have any experience with other VR headsets and can make recommendations for the project?

And finally special considerations for setting a VR project up in Unreal engine. Im sure this question can mostly be answered with a visit to unreals documentation but a few of you might know oher things that could be helpful.

Thanks

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Those first two questions seem like they should be sent to your client.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi Reece. Im busy with the same  thing. Check out TwinMotion over at Unreal. https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/twinmotion?sessionInvalidated=true There is also google vr in a cardboard version if you need it https://vr.google.com/

Im messing with TwinMotion atm and its a blast!

Cheers
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    If it's a 360 degree fixed camera setup, then I recommend the Oculus Go which is $169 USD right now. No external computers or phones needed. The Oculus Go is best for cases where the users don't need positional tracking.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    You are looking at two different environments than for each room, one for PC and one for Standalone devices. 
    We use Pico G2 VR devices and they are like PS2 level performance, more geo and less expensive shaders and materials etc. 
    For PC it depends on the quality level you are pushing however GPU above 1050ti should be enough. 
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    The main question is if you need a realtime environment or not.
    If you are fine with a static environment, use 360° panoramas rendered in whatever offline renderer you have available.
    They are easy to display and the hardware requirements are very low. You can easily show them on a tablet as well if a VR headset is not available.

kanga said:
    Hi Reece. Im busy with the same  thing. Check out TwinMotion over at Unreal. https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/twinmotion?sessionInvalidated=true There is also google vr in a cardboard version if you need it https://vr.google.com/

Im messing with TwinMotion atm and its a blast!

Cheers
    Didn't realise Twinmotion got together with Unreal last month.
    Tested Twinmotion products earlier this year, but had lots of issues with the VR environment (tilted scenes, collision issues, falling through floors etc.) and their support forum was repelling.
    It was quite expensive at that time as well, getting it free now is very nice.
    Didn't look at the changes yet though.
  • Reece Whittingham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reece Whittingham polycounter lvl 4
    thanks guys, i'll look into the various ideas and see which i think is best
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Didn't realise Twinmotion got together with Unreal last month.
    Tested Twinmotion products earlier this year, but had lots of issues with the VR environment (tilted scenes, collision issues, falling through floors etc.) and their support forum was repelling.
    It was quite expensive at that time as well, getting it free now is very nice.
    Didn't look at the changes yet though.
    Ah didnt realize it was initially developed independently. Twinmotion is only free until November this year. FBX import, texturing, rendering and weather/ environment conditions are quite mindblowing so far. Havent run around as a character in it yet, but so far its pretty fabulous.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    kanga said:
    Ah didnt realize it was initially developed independently. Twinmotion is only free until November this year. FBX import, texturing, rendering and weather/ environment conditions are quite mindblowing so far. Havent run around as a character in it yet, but so far its pretty fabulous.
    Yes it has some awesome features, I will keep an eye on it to see where Epic is taking it.
    Before the single user license cost was around 1200 Euro/yr.