Home Technical Talk

Is there a way to make fonts from a heightmap image?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Poly_Nut triangle
Hi polycount community, i have a series of symbol i would like to turn into a font since i need to put them on a lot of environment assets and this at various size so a font would be the most convenient since making stencil in my sculpt app would be cumbersome.

I have access to fontforge and i am familiar with font making but i cannot see any function that would allow me to do something like this.

I want to use 32 bits heightmap of these symbols so logically i would want to keep them as raster so they could be read at 32 bit for elevation precision.

After reading for 2 hr i still cannot figure a way to make that so maybe one of you know of a way to do this or a program that help doing it?

Replies

• Poly_Nut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly_Nut triangle
    Find my answer after a few hours reading and here how to do it, you first need to install Inkscape open source vector program and you need this little free application: https://github.com/Microsoft/OpenType-SVG-Font-Editor that will simplify the process and let you drag and drop your greyscale image in the proper font position.

The open type svg font will only work in Photoshop so if you want it to work in your 3d or sculpt app then they must support the svg open type color font format.