Home Technical Talk

Retopology Tools?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
So I am wondering if there are retoplogy tools that are faster now especially for topology when it comes to animation for 3d characters. The last time I tried it, it was a time consuming process..very time consuming. So I am wondering in a production environment, are there tools that speed this up, I have heard of zmesher in ZBrush, Topogun and auto retopology tools. How effective are these softwares/ tools to creating animation friendly topology for sculpted characters? What about very complex sculpts as well? or manual retopology is still the best way to go? or these tools are used and then u manually correct certain areas?
Or its just better to model from a 2d reference manually in maya/ 3dsmax as u create the character while maintaining good topology in one go and add details in a sculpting software afterwards.
I gather that in most production houses, high res sculpts are required by directors for them to visualize and approve the characters and then the approved sculpts are made animation friendly so does this do away with using 2d concept art and modeling the old fashioned way which enables good topology and animation friendly models with no time consuming retopology.
Just wondering..

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    There is also  wrap3 option for characters and their cheep zbrush plugin   https://www.russian3dscanner.com/zwrap/ 

It's pretty good actually.     The idea is taking an already existing good topology and wrap it around any similar model in no time.   
    Zbrush  Zremesher is pretty good too and is getting better every new release.        The only thing it still can't make good enough is hard surface models  so I personally just model them old way in Max or Blender from a box or a curve

• DbDibs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZRemesher in Zbrush has definitely improved over time, but IMO it's still not quite ready for auto-retopologizing a mesh that requires a lot of animating and deformation, like a character. It makes nice edge loops, but even with manually defining where the curves should flow, I've found that the results just can't beat manually retopoing by hand. Actually, I've yet to come across any software that does, but I'd love to be proven wrong! For games, decimation master (Zbrush) works well enough for converting a high poly mesh to lowpoly, for certain props that don't necessarily need great topology and won't be animated - things like rocks. ZRemesher also works well, but it's difficult to get the tri count as low as you could with decimation master.

I have very little experience in Topogun from years ago, but I've used both 3D Coat and Maya for manually retopoing a character. 3D coat works very well with some minor annoyances, but in Maya 2018 and 2019, Autodesk fixed most of the critical issues that made retopoing in Maya with Quad Draw a pain (gone are issues like the horrible lag, and now your mesh is transparent while working with quad draw, making it tons easier to see what you're doing). 

melviso said:
    Or its just better to model from a 2d reference manually in maya/ 3dsmax as u create the character while maintaining good topology in one go and add details in a sculpting software afterwards.
    This is the approach I take some times, modeling the low poly with good topology from the start, exporting that to Zbrush, and sculpting all the small details in Zbrush. The greatest limitation I've found so far though is that you can't add any extreme detail that would break the form much, since you'll be baking all of that high poly detail back down onto your original low poly. Worst case scenario, if you do need to make big changes to the form of the character in ZBrush, you could always go back and modify your low poly's form in Maya a bit to match your high poly though.

But anyway, my workflow is basically this: if you need to retopo a prop that won't be animated and topology isn't a big concern, decimation master works well. If you want to auto retopo a high poly sculpt with good edge flow that won't deform too much, ZRemesher works very well. And if you want to retopo a character that needs excellent edge flow and will deform a lot, I'd go for manual - Quad Draw in Maya is my go-to these days. The process is much, much faster than it was years ago. 

Curious to hear what others have to say!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Zremesher hasn't changed its organic algorithm since released and still results in spiral loops - a nightmare for skinning/weighting.

Zwrap to an established organised mesh topology is currently a very popular option for production work. A studio will hand off a locked in topology that is either used as a base mesh to work from or is projected/Zwrapped to the final sculpt. This can also be done with a little more manual input just using Zbrush brushes and its projection tools. I've done this many times with heads and it works fine. Zwrapper(Wrap3) is simply the better, faster, and easier way to do this.

There is, of course, still very much a demand for manual retop, especially for creatures, unusual characters, and characters with clothing or attachments/armour/suit that might be part of a watertight mesh.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwrap looks cool I must admit. Retopology still needs a lot of improvements especially in the manual area. I can't stress how cumbersome it is especially for  fingers and toes.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    melviso said:
    Zwrap looks cool I must admit. Retopology still needs a lot of improvements especially in the manual area. I can't stress how cumbersome it is especially for  fingers and toes.
    You could use two high poly versions of the character's body for retopology. 1. A full watertight mesh for occasional shrinkwrapping and 2. polygrouped one from ZBrush for smaller isolations, such as fingers and toes.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I dont use zremesher for a final mesh. Just retopo like normal.Avoid tris as much as possible tho, and do a dispalcement/height map. Saves work and during animation, turn textures off. When done, textures on and render.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess manual retopology is still the way to go or manual modeling in one go.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    For me a good base is still the way to go. Retopo is slow. 
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu  I agree. Btw, which do u prefer for organic modeling, from a box or edge modeling like that Joan arc tutorial? Which do u feel is faster?
    Guys, How do u model in smooth mode like this in 3dsmax while moving verts in low poly mode:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhtI-vKx8YY
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I use premade assets. If you model for years you have a big library.

Or i do a volume sculpt and a fast really low retopo and go from there. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso said:
    Guys, How do u model in smooth mode like this in 3dsmax while moving verts in low poly mode:

Add a Turbosmooth modifier and enable 'isoline display'. Now go into editable poly and enable 'show end result'. This will allow you to model using the polygonal proxy mesh cage while viewing the subdivided result. You can also scroll down to 'subdivision surface' NURMS rollout in the command panel and disable 'show cage'. This rollout can also be used for Sub-D modeling, but it is a legacy algoritmn and Turbosmooth modifier is faster. Max also has another Meshsmooth modifier(also legacy, but with some interesting options) and an openSubdiv modifier.
    So you have 4 different sub-d options. :)

Edge/Box modeling a head is a bit old school and not as natural at achieving the primary forms as sculpting. If you haven't done this before a good practice exercise would be to import a scanned head into ZB and use polypaint to 'draw' the topology onto the mesh. You can then export the polypainted mesh for a template to retopologise on top of. It is much easier and faster to work out your topology this way, rather than in screen space in your 3D program with no true point of reference. The result will also be far more realistic.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu Thanks, mate.
    @musashidan Thanks for the info :smile:  I know how to retopologise sculpted mesh. The issue here is time. How long it takes to retopo. So maybe it's best to model it once as you create forms and topo, then add details in sculpting program or learn to be fast at manual retopology.

EDIT: Check out this retopology addon for Blender:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lxPXkxflV8

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @melviso what I meant was that retopo a good base topology over a head scan is a better way of creating the base head than edge/boxmodeling.

Then you can use this for every head you create and never have to retop. This can be used wirh the Wrap3 workflow for all future heads.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    melviso said:
    EDIT: Check out this retopology addon for Blender:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lxPXkxflV8

It's cool addon, I use it regularly just because it's homely inside Blender.   But to be 100% honest it doesn't do anything magical, slightly glitchy  and  probably slightly  behind 3ds max  native toolset for retopo which is pretty powerful actually.    I makes non-manifold geometry regularly you often wouldn't notice and Max never does it.    On the other hand it's simple like 2x2 and takes you 5 minutes to start retoping. A huge advantage imo.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan Very true. I agree that is better. 
    @gnoop I will ty out 3dsmax then for retopo and see how well it works. Thanks.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topologik is a fairly recent retopo plugin for Max that is similar to retopoflow for Blender. Max's base retopo tools(Graphite freeform tools) are decent enough, but are a straight port of a 10 year old plugin(Polyboost) and are looking a bit dated now. Not too bad, though.

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    3d wrap methods like Zwrap or Wrap3 are good methods to do a quick work with human characters, but you already need to have a good 3d model with a good topology. You can't use a simple basemesh but a complex one, because this method needs polygonal detail and different 3d models with different topologies for wrapping.

The actual retopo tools are very slow (including the newest ones), it's a nightmare for me, a time consuming process i don't want to see all the days. That thing of painting polys on a surface, poly by poly, or a tiny loop of polys, one by one, is a Hell. Retopo is very slow.

It's faster to start modelling your concept/model with a simple low poly subdivision model and add all the details/shapes/forms in a progressive way (i mean, subdivision lvl 0 > lvl 1 > lvl 2). Later, we can add all the fine details we can't add with polygonal topology in apps such as Mudbox or Zbrush.

This example is from 2009, and i still do the same, but faster. I can control where i add the edge loop for the UV seam or the amount of polygons needed for deformation. The best, i don't need to work with high resolution meshes and i can fix proportions and shapes moving a few points.

When i need to use repotoly tools, when i can, i use Zbrush with Zremesher and i paint the loops i want (i go for lower details). The result is not good at all, but enough for GOZ + edit in Max.

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying these techniques out and figuring out which one gets things done. That's the only way to find out :- )
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found this. Just in case someone finds it useful:

Forms and topology, all in one go.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very similar to the topology found on this classic ref site

https://hippydrome.com/
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. I am aware of the site. A lot of very informative info :- )

After further research, sculpting is still the way to go especially in a production environment since these characters need approval first before they are made production ready so retopology is here to stay whether we like it or not. 
    It would be silly to spend time modeling from a box with all the right topology intact only for the character design to be rejected or huge changes need to be made.
    This interview offers some useful info:
    https://www.riggingdojo.com/2016/02/13/disney-character-artist-shares-his-story/

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor @musashidan @oglu Can u guys pls point out any video tutorial u know of that shows this technique of making a volume mesh sculpt, retopo and then model from there.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Just start from a sphere. Do some blocking work and go from there.
    Like i did on this zombie here. On this one i used auto retopo and deleted the parts that would need to be done by hand. Eye sockets and nose.

https://vimeo.com/271554026
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu Thanks. This seems like a cooler way of doing things.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Its just one way todo it. There is no gold rule how its done.
    Depending on the pipeline or the use of the head i end up in a diffrent workflow.
    But if im free and can do what i want i would go for a volume sculpt.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Yea I just dynamesh the rough form and then use quad drawl. I find this easier that building topo from scratch as quad draw allows quick iteration on topo flow. Also it breaks things into steps. Rather than think about topo and form at same time, they are separate. Easier for the monkey brain.
  • EGGO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EGGO polycounter lvl 11
    Topogun for me still is a way to go - it's still really fast and intuitive, it's cheap and have almost all features which modern retopology tools have. There's no autoretopo which is really sad, but I hope they'll make it for Topogun 3)))
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor Agreed.
    @EGGO I remember Topogun. But there are faster tools now for retopology.

Have you guys heard of this:
    https://www.keentools.io/facebuilder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPAktlmMU6E
  • EGGO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EGGO polycounter lvl 11
    @melviso Topogun 3 now completely redone from scratch (according to twitter) so it should be as blazing fast or even faster as other tools you talked about) At least I hope so) 

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso said:
    Have you guys heard of this:
    https://www.keentools.io/facebuilder

Yes, it's been around for a while now, but interestingly they've released a version for Blender 2.80(and no other DCC) It has its place in film/vfx as it's a Nuke plugin, but to me it just looks like another FaceGen type tool and not suitable for character work in this age of 3D scans and Wrap3 tech.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso said:
    @EGGO I remember Topogun. But there are faster tools now for retopology.

It's 5 years in the making, but at long last the Topogun 3 beta closed beta will be released in the next few months........ :) From the dev:

It's been a while, but finally, we have news.
    TopoGun 3 beta starts in October!
    It took so long because TopoGun had to be rewritten from scratch, to make room for the new features.
    Stay tuned, in the following period a series of presentation videos will be posted.

I'm actually very excited to see what this brings. Oddly enough, with all the advances in tools and tech over the years, manual retopology solutions are still mostly halfway there. I've tried Max and the recently released Topologik plugin which I thought was going to be it, but I was disappointed. I've tried Maya and Quad draw, great tool but can be buggy and slows down and lacks certain important features. I've tried Blender 2.80 and Retopoflow, decent tools but lacking in a lot of areas. I used Topogun 2 a few years ago, but when Max got polyboost tools added I dropped it.

TG3 could just be THE manual solution we've all been waiting for. Going to be interesting to see just what new tools and workflows it has after 5 years in dev. ;)

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EGGO That's definitely good news, mate. I hope it delivers :- )

@musashidan I agree. Most of them are not there yet but u know these softwares won't put all their features in at one go since they want to save some for their next release.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tutorial using Facebuilder:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf88UeC7LmE
    Defintely a better way to create a base mesh locking down proportions then refine with sculpting.
    Would be nice if u could do this with the body as well.
  • EGGO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EGGO polycounter lvl 11
    I'm just going to leave this here...

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Oh man, I remember when I used TG, feels like an eternity ago. I hope they step their game up, I kindof abandoned them for the Quad Draw tool in Maya (tired of exporting meshes back an forth), and now I may even leave Maya and just use Blender...
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I use Blender nowadays for scanned data, and it's enough for me. Some friends use 3dcoat.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Anyone have any experience with the Retopoflow addon for blender? I'm waiting for a stable release for 2.8x, but the older 2.79 version has some good reviews. I've tried a bunch of retopo solutions, but I keep returning to Topogun 2.

musashidan  - agreed, topology stuff has stagnated over the years, aside from some specific use-case tools like Wrap.

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to know.Thanks for the headsup @EGGO
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CheeseOnToast tried Retopoflow 3 beta and wasn't impressed at all. Plus it's nearly $100.

A combination of Speedretopo and RetopoMT(purely for the contours feature) seems the best solution, and both free.

Topogun 3 beta is supposedly out now, but trying to find information on it is like blood from a stone.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu yeah, saw this one. Looks really good. Looking forward to the beta.

It really has to be good because in all those years it took him to dev 3.0 he's now competing with Wrap 3. :)
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    Wow Topogun 3 looks amazing!