Home Career & Education

self teaching curriculum

Super_nova
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Super_nova node
what online resources can I go to in order to teach my self to become a character artist? and what order should I learn them in?

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Both these channels have great artists providing tutorials and guidance. Check out Michael's ZBrush tutorial series on YouTube. ZBrush is going to be your most beloved program!

1) Watch a lot of ZBrush anatomy and cloth sculpting tutorials.
    2) Do some tutorials on either Maya or 3DS Max, learn hard surface, retopology, and UV mapping.
    3) Learn Substance Painter for texturing.

Some tips: Join a discord or slack community, and upload all the art you do to Polycount!
  • kalosy
    Offline / Send Message
    kalosy polycounter lvl 3
    You'll never make a mistake if you start with anatomy. Watch Scott Eaton's anatomy course and try to understand his lessons with some help of anatomy books. My recommendations, which in fact Scott Eaton recommends as well, are Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck (the best beginners book), Gottfried Bammes (more intermediate), Human Anatomy for Artists by Eliot Goldfinger (thorough explanation of every single muscle), Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman (kinda hard to understand without having at least some beginner knowledge), and my favourite Anatomy for Sculptors.

You don't necessarily have to watch only ZBrush anatomy tutorials since fundamentals are applicable in any form. I generally do both 2D and 3D to do my studies and both have their advantages - 2D is much faster while 3D is more extensive and better to grasp.

Manage your schedule to find some time for modeling tutorials like Simon Fuchs hard surface, but overall, I believe anatomy is the hardest from all the disciplines a character artist needs to learn. Get on a decent level of anatomy because the techical part is easier. 
  • Super_nova
    thanks for the feed back hopefully I can use this to supplement the formal education I also plan to get
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Addition to above post: Make large quantity of completed models. You'll learn the most from reviewing completed work (and having others review it too). Save perfectionism for when you hit the 1-3 year mark and you're ready to make a portfolio and apply for jobs.

Make complete models because, if you only sculpt you won't understand how a sculpt fits into larger context. You'll waste effort where not needed. Also, repetition builds familiarity, builds speed, builds expertise. Maybe you can make an awesome sculpt and get a job, but do you wanna show up on day one and gotta bug your supervisor constantly cause you lack experience with the technicals and have poor troubleshooting skills?

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    That is a very good question and one that I have asked myself for the past year or so. I usually like to begin with whatever I am most curious or passionate about, whether it is a concept that another artist made that I really like, or to work on a personal project from my own inspiration. I find it most motivating to pick and do something I believe it the most, and it feels great after having completed your project.

Anatomy is definitely a good topic to start or supplement your schedule with. For example, I've taken beginner drawing human anatomy courses at my local art school for several months previously, and currently taking a part-time course on specifically the head and the neck. I decided to take it because I believed that it would help me create better characters especially when most people will notice the head and neck areas first.

I like to find a balance between learning and applying what I know. I could spend weeks on a single character model but there are times where I will let myself have a time or scope budget before moving onto another project. And to balance work with life. :)