Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Øyvind Andersson

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
OyvindAndersson polycounter lvl 5
Starting up a sketchbook to post my progress and bits.

Comments and critique are always very welcome - especially on the materials.
Won't be posting that regularly - free-time is hard to come by these days - but trying to put in an hour a day, or so.

Starting off with images of the current scene, from initial blockmesh to the current state.
Overall goal for the project is to improve and learn material creation for natural/organic elements, and using trim-sheets.

For some reason UE4 screenshots show more contrast than what I really see - on the same monitor... ideas?

1. Blockout based on an area near me

2. Some practice sculpting / texturing rock - not really done it before

3. Getting some terrain going, initial sculpt for rock-wall under house

4. Textured rock-wall. Single deco-rocks taken from the same geometry.
Early sculpt/material for dirt-road. Made a spline-mesh actor to extend, bend and adjust the mesh.

5. Created a new rock material. smart-material (Substance) with variation that will at least be base for all rocks near the ocean
- Testing out some landscape material in a UE4 plugin. Not going to use the textures, but probably the shader.

6. Current state. Going to work on the terrain shapes and restructure the backdrop a little.

Current assets - rock has a blend material between dry and wet (bright/dark)

I mostly want to train on materials and planning how to reuse them and setting up trim-sheets where applicable.
I have not uv'd and created materials for the house and destroyed planks yet, as I'm not quite sure how to 'attack' it.
Did get some great tips from the excellent Polygon Academy videos, so trying to incorporate some of that.

Replies