Home Technical Talk

Maya Locking components, modelling toolkit help

Lerrp
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Lerrp polycounter lvl 2
Hey, I was looking for a better way to lock specific components in place and I ran across this on the maya help site:

To lock vertices

1. In your scene, select the components you want to exclude from your transformation.
  2. Select one of the transform tools. See Transform tools.
  3. Do one of the following to lock an axis:
    • In your scene, click a manipulator handle.
    • In the Modeling Toolkit window, click one of the axis buttons in the Transform Options.
  4. In the Vertex Locking section of the Modeling Toolkit window, click Lock Selected.

The vertices that are associated with the selection are locked in place and can not be transformed along the locked axis.

To select locked vertices

1. In the Vertex Locking section of the Modeling Toolkit window, select Select Locked.

The locked vertices are selected in the scene.

TipThe Select Locked button displays the number of vertices that are currently locked.

To unlock vertices

1. In the Vertex Locking section of the Modeling Toolkit window, select Unlock All.
But I am a bit confused, I do not see the vertex locking section in the modeling toolkit anywhere. I am basically just looking for a quick way to select a component and a lock/unlock button. Am I missing something with the above? Is there a marking menu or hotkey somewhere that does the same function? Is there a way to script a behavior like this that I can add to a shelf? 

Thanks!

Replies