I get a lot of email from potential candidates; And for the life of me I try to respond to every one, even when the emails are awful. As part of a conscious effort to take back my personal time from people who shoot off an email without thinking, I've decided to just start deleting useless inquiries.
The reason I bother posting about this is because I'm sure lots of people (students/recent grads) here are applying for positions at many studios, and these are some of the reasons you're not hearing back.
I'm going to keep updating this list, and I encourage others who have this experience to contribute.
Here are the Reasons I'm going to delete your email (As an employer)
- You didn't include a portfolio link
- You are profoundly unqualified for the job and you know it. (check out your competition here: www.Artstation.com)
- You bad-mouth other studios. (I have zero interest in hearing you talk shit about other people - you do it to them, you'll do it to me)
- You do strange stuff with the text (Too small, too big, weird colors)
- Asking if I have "any" positions available. ("Any" is not a position at my studio, what job do you want? Artist, coder, writer, etc ?)
- You write a novel.