Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Brush for enhancing edges...?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello
I have a scan of a rock. Usually the various edges of the rock are not that sharp (happens to all scans to a degree). I would like to "enhance" the edges of the rock so it would be more "sharp", like a proper edge and not as a smoothed edges (due to scan blurrines to a degree).

What Zbrush brush should i use for this? I dont want to spent much time on it i just need one brush that would let me "enhance" the edges, or more "exaggerate" them... ? Is there some brush or a tool or a script that would help me? SOme brush has to be there... ?

Thank you

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    There's a few ways to approach this. The simplest is just to use the pinch brush, sparingly. For a more stylised (and destructive) approach, try some of the trim, planar and polish brushes.

A more involved way is to use morph targets and the clay polish effect in tool>geometry>clay polish. Store a morph target of the original soft rock with tool>morph target>StoreMT. Apply clay polish until the edges are as sharp as you need them, not worrying about the other details. In the morph target palette, hit the "switch" button which will appear to revert your mesh to its original state. Finally use the morph brush with a very low strength to paint along the edges you want to sharpen up. You can combine this trick with layers, for a really non-destructive approach.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    You can try this, import your asset, store a morph target, polish by features, make sure the circle is ticked on, then do a regular polish. Go back to the morph target and hit switch. Where it says morph apply it in a negative scale and see if you like it.

I usually use hi polish, trim dynamic. Try them with the square alpha...