Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UNITY] Fantasy village scene

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
Finally I have finished my modular fantasy village scene for unity. A lot more pictures and breakdown images will follow soon.

https://youtu.be/a3lu_cCatH8

The trailer is actual in game footage!

Replies

• ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As promised, some more shots with  breakdowns. (image heavy!) I tried to optimize them as much as possible but if it feels too heavy let me know please.

beauty shots from unity game mode

zbrush sculpts

unity standard legacy shader modified for tint mask support. (possible to quickly change roof colors)

huge amount of modular assets from witch it is possible to build all kind of medieval structures
    (below is just a small portion of them)

constructed examples built in unity with modular assets

• ARGHouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARGHouse polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work, I like the modular kit you've created.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ! Only thing left to do is the LODs. Ah so boring but necessary =)
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    This looks amazing, how long have you been working on this set?

• ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed said:
    This looks amazing, how long have you been working on this set?

Thanks! Well it took me about a year but I havent been working on it constantly. Only few hours after fulltime work and not every day. Also I did few months break. The most time consuming was probably the technical aspect of the project not the art. I have never used unity before so I had to learn a bit and especially I have never done shader code editing. Had to find some tutorials and such. The unique houses were done quite fast but the modular assets took some time. Oh and after I did a lot of the assets I realized that probably its not a good idea to have three different textures for the houses and so I decided to make an atlas texture and then I had to move the uvs of all already done houses to match the new texture which had different dimensions. But I guess it was worth it.
  • truemkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    truemkar polycounter lvl 3
    Looks amazing!  <3
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    how do you go for the LODs for these?
    I find myself in a similar situation with our new game, I make the models basically as optimized as they go, where I can basically cut nothing away anymore without completely removing entire things - like there is mostly nothing to cut from a couple of cubes forming a model, otherwise maybe 20% reduction at best, aside of maybe billboards. Separate simpler model with separate UV?
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike said:
    how do you go for the LODs for these?
    I find myself in a similar situation with our new game, I make the models basically as optimized as they go, where I can basically cut nothing away anymore without completely removing entire things - like there is mostly nothing to cut from a couple of cubes forming a model, otherwise maybe 20% reduction at best, aside of maybe billboards. Separate simpler model with separate UV?
    Yeah, best solution I have found is to make a simple lowpoly with its own UV's and project all textures from the original mesh. Its a manual and boring work and requires a person who knows 3d stuff. And I dont think there is an auto lod system which is capable of doing such things. Perhaps maybe Houdini as its very strong with procedural modeling/simulating stuff but I am not sure.
  • truemkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    truemkar polycounter lvl 3
    Maybe just carefully optimize the meshes with Preserve UVs? This is works usual.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my case, I have a modular wall which is basically just a plane with a tileable texture. User can use it to build a bigger wall which can be 5 planes wide. Now the user gets a constructed wall and it  has 5 polygons. If user remove inbetween polygons, it will stretch the texture a lot. However, we can make one polygon which will cover all 5 smaller polygons and make new UVs for it and rebake the textures. And so our new lod will be only one polygon but with its own texture. 

Another example is with the windows. I have modular windows as separate meshes and you can place them as you wish but for the LOD you dont probably want the  the geometry of the windows and so its better to just bake them on a unique texture used by the LOD. So you can have like 100 windows on  one wall and it will be just one plane for the LOD.

So yeah its not that simple as it seems. I have been actually doing this sort of Lodding at work for many months in a row for another project and then same things at home. Oh its getting a bit annoying if you ask me =)
  • 3DKlassen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen polycounter lvl 4
    I really like this, feels consistent in the design and color scheme! I'm actually working on something simliar myself right now so its nice to see something to compare to!

The ONLY thing I see that IMO could use an altering, I don't see how the windmill would spin, I would love to see some off white fabric on the windmill covering all the holes, otherwise the wind would go right though I would think
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen said:
    I really like this, feels consistent in the design and color scheme! I'm actually working on something simliar myself right now so its nice to see something to compare to!

The ONLY thing I see that IMO could use an altering, I don't see how the windmill would spin, I would love to see some off white fabric on the windmill covering all the holes, otherwise the wind would go right though I would think
    Thanks! Yeah it a magical windmill =) But you are right. I was actually planning on adding the fabric but maybe forgot in the process. I will certainly add it =)