Home Career & Education

Starting a personal 3D routine

CBgamer
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
CBgamer node
I recent start work on Maya and don t no went on I want o start work like an environment or only animation, first, I want to try to discover out what I like more to work but now I want to learn a bit of all, can you help me doing like a schedule and the briefing of what I am going to and start to work, Example - "from 6 Months what I am going to do on that 6 Mouths ok I am going to need 20 hrs/ week Starting  to do modelling for 2 mouths then next animation... texting etc... ".
I can´t go to an expensive school to learn because I don t have that money is very expensive for me so guys if you can help me and give your time to help me in this really, thank you for all to read this all and going to help.
If you need my facebook, Instagram or discord to talk better I can give you here or in pm. Again thanks for all for reading this. 

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    You want someone to come up with an education blueprint for you?

If so, there are hundreds of similar posts here and who knows how many articles / videos on the subject around the web. Do some digging.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Make a game!

Seriously, it's the best way to get a taste of everything. Also does a lot to help you understand the full picture. A good way to start would be something like the Swords and Shovels course from PluralSight or that Make a game in Unreal course from Udemy. Udemy courses are like 90% right now. Pluralsight also has some collection of courses called "Intro to Maya" that will cover modeling, texturing, animation, lighting and rendering in a very general, beginner friendly way.

Then you may need some more specific tutorials for individual disciplines like modeling, texturing, lighting, animation, etc. To get started you don't need the best tutorials, any of the big libraries like 3dmotive, lynda, or pluralsight will be fine. Those will cost about $30 a month but you can do any tutorials you see and as much as you want so its a really good cost to benefit.

As far as time goes, just make sure you do something every day. Make doing some work every day top priority. A daily discipline, just like brushing your teeth or exercising.

As you learn more and develop your interest, you'll be able to make better decisions about how to divide your time and what to focus on.

You can use the polycount discord to chat realtime with others, make some friends who are in a similar place as you, etc. Also the diNustry discord is a big one for environment artist. Character artist named Georgian Avasilcutei also has a discord community thats grown to a pretty decent size -- mostly character artist there but plenty of props and enviro people as well.

I wouldn't recommend working on a game with others in your a  complete beginner. Better to take things at your own pace for awhile until you have a decent understanding of things.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Make a game.

or atttempt to make a real life prop. You'll be forced to figure out steps of the process in the pursuit of the goal.
  • CBgamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CBgamer node
    Make a game.

or atttempt to make a real life prop. You'll be forced to figure out steps of the process in the pursuit of the goal.

Yes but the thing is I don´t like to code and to do a game I need someone to code and I try to find in the network and can´t find anything that does a course that only does a game it a part only of 3D only do the code 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Do something like the Swords and Shovel series for Unity or that popular "make a game in unreal 4" course from Udemy. You don't go to memorize all the coding , just learn enough to follow along and make it work, but going through the process will make you understand how game models fit into the larger picture. It will answer 90% of the beginner questions you see.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    The categories are like this:
    modeling, texturing, rigging, animation and vfx.
    U have to have something that made you want to try 3d? Was it an animation video u saw? Was it a character sculpt? Environments? vehicles? weapons? e.tc.
    The advice I would give u is start out small first. Maybe learn how to model, uvmap, texture and render a banana, orange, donut? something simple. This should give u an idea of what modeling, texturing and rendering feels like.
    For animation, maybe try animating a simple sphere bouncing or rolling to get a feel of animating in 3d,

VFX? Maybe create smoke and see how that goes.
    Keep it simple to get a feel of things before moving on to more bigger stuffs.
    Are u interested in the games industry or movies/animation industry? As the workflow involved are different. But right now, u need to understand the basics.
  • CBgamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CBgamer node
    melviso said:
    The categories are like this:
    modeling, texturing, rigging, animation and vfx.
    U have to have something that made you want to try 3d? Was it an animation video u saw? Was it a character sculpt? Environments? vehicles? weapons? e.tc.
    The advice I would give u is start out small first. Maybe learn how to model, uvmap, texture and render a banana, orange, donut? something simple. This should give u an idea of what modeling, texturing and rendering feels like.
    For animation, maybe try animating a simple sphere bouncing or rolling to get a feel of animating in 3d,

VFX? Maybe create smoke and see how that goes.
    Keep it simple to get a feel of things before moving on to more bigger stuffs.
    Are u interested in the games industry or movies/animation industry? As the workflow involved are different. But right now, u need to understand the basics.
    Yes, I was in a multimedia course for 3 years I have learned 2D animation, video, program, and a lit bit of 3D etc... I always love the animation, but the thing is I don´t like to use other models to try the animation I feel bad to use other things that are not mine, I am trying to do the modelling and I don´t like too much, but  I am going to try the animation.

Yeah in that part I know xD don´t go to try to do Hard Surface in the first time, but thanks melviso. 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    If you really only want to animate then it doesn't matter what you use. 
  • CBgamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CBgamer node
    If you really only want to animate then it doesn't matter what you use. 
    So the animation need to do the rigging? 
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Couldn't tell you, it's nothing I've ever touched or been inclined to learn
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    You could use already rigged models and start learning how to animate right away since that's what you want to do:
    This guy Kiel friggins has free rigged models u can use to start learning how to animate and maybe learn how to create your own in your spare time too:
    http://www.3dfiggins.com/Resources/FreeRigs/index.html
    Another free rig site:
    https://rustyanimator.com/free-maya-rigs/

But if u want to learn how to create them yourself, u have to start small, model a stick figure, rig it and learn how to animate it. I am guessing as a 2d animator, u can draw. Do some sculpt doddles of a head e.t.c. 
  • Beezmon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CBgamer said:
    I recent start work on Maya and don t no went on I want o start work like an environment or only animation, first, I want to try to discover out what I like more to work but now I want to learn a bit of all, can you help me doing like a schedule and the briefing of what I am going to and start to work, Example - "from 6 Months what I am going to do on that 6 Mouths ok I am going to need 20 hrs/ week Starting  to do modelling for 2 mouths then next animation... texting etc... ".
    I can´t go to an expensive school to learn because I don t have that money is very expensive for me so guys if you can help me and give your time to help me in this really, thank you for all to read this all and going to help.
    If you need my facebook, Instagram or discord to talk better I can give you here or in pm. Again thanks for all for reading this. 
    I would start with going through the process of modeling a character, texturing it, rigging it then animating it.  Do simple ones to start.  Characters that have less bones to work with.  A snake?  A Fish?  Work through that process as much as you have time to do so.  As you complete several characters you will get the feel of iterations.  I would hold off on animating until you have some characters done.