Home Technical Talk

How to export UV for large object with correct Texel Density

hellrage
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hellrage polycounter lvl 6
Hi,
I understand that we need to have a consistent texel density while we're doing UV map. 

Here i have arranged the all the Uv maps for 3 props (poster, floor, wall) in the correct texel density; im planning to use 2048 x 2048 texture resolution btw.

So how do i export the uv map for Floor and Wall since it's very huge as compared to the UV map of poster ? 
Because if i shrink the uv map for both floor and wall, then its texel density will be wrong.

This link will direct you to the Maya 2018 file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/194WdOkmEfLC1dxqsCAdf-e9KW1zrs3e4/view?usp=sharing

Thanxs.

Replies

• RacePeaceDay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RacePeaceDay polycounter lvl 6
    Better split into smaller objects, box UV mapping everything at once will make everything same texel size, you can use vertex paint with tiling textures to make it look non-repetitive + decals. Tiling also can be adjusted in game engine by multiplying TexCoord node with scalar parameter.

For vertex paint you'll need to change topology to more even grid across all mesh.

If you split you'll get better quality for lightmaps, and more optimized for visibility culling.