Home Technical Talk

new to zbrush help needed please...

Callaby32
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Callaby32 polycounter lvl 5
Hi, I'am relatively new to zbrush and just trying to feel my way around, trying to follow a speed sculpt but hitting problems straight away, how do i get from the first picture to the second picture?? I can slice the tube up and get the shape but when i delete either side of the purple bit which i need I'am left with an inner and outer tube without border edges, its probably something very simple but I'am a bit overawed with all the tools in zbrush. cheers
I

Replies

• florianmking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctrl plus shift on the polygroup you want to isolate(keep).then in Geomtry-modify topology del hidden and you re left with the blueish polygroup.if you want geometry on it use Zremesher.I hope i ve understood your problem and helped you.Good luck!
  • Callaby32
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply, I've managed to get to that point the issue I've got is bridging between the inner surface and exterior surface I'am left with the picture below.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    First problem is stop following a speed sculpt, they're not super helpful for learning by following along. Start out by going through some actual beginner tutorials on Zbrush so you can learn the software. People doing speedsculpts are them just working away, they are not showing you keybinds, functionality, or anything of than the process in a quick fashion, usually.

To assist with your immediate issue they are most likely slicing the mesh using the slice tool with dynamesh turned on. Again that was probably turned on at some point either very quickly or via a hotkey and because the point of the speed sculpt is not to teach that, you haven't learned that. This isn't anything against you I just think watching speedsculpts to learn zbrush is a wretched way of learning. Good for inspiration though sometimes.

Check out the below video if when using the slice tool with dynamesh on you get the stretching due to polygroup assignment.
    https://youtu.be/GNqqPEJzN2Q

For starting to learn Zbrush go through some of the videos on FlippedNormals as well as those offered by Pixologic, either on their site or on youtube and I would also check out Danny Mac on youtube for some character stuff and musashidan for more mechanical and hardsurface in Zbrush.

https://www.youtube.com/user/musashidanmcgrath/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/djmccabie
  • RacePeaceDay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RacePeaceDay polycounter lvl 6
    I would do a boolean here, instead of curve brush make a long box and bend it. After boolean it will need ZRemeshing.
  • Callaby32
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take a look cheers, I know a speed sculpt isn't ideal to learn from but it was doing exactly what I needed to do and couldn't find anything else like it..