Home Career & Education

Can you apply for a company without an opening?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
AndresZambrano polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone, I've had this in my mind for a while. I've been getting contacted by a few companies recently for a position in character art, yet it doesn't say on their website that there is an opening yet, I suppose they are about to open them or something. My question is, can I apply to become a character artist in a company that I want to work in, even if there is no posting? Do people just send their portfolios with an email to as many of  the companies they want to work for, or do they just wait for an official job posting? 

I know that character artists positions are difficult to get in the game or vfx industries, and I don't see many job postings for that position on artstation. I'm just wondering how people actively apply for these positions, and if you can, what is a good way of doing it. For example is it best to do it via email, artstation messages, sending a demo reel, etc. 

Thank you in advance, I know that this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find info on the job opening aspect of the questions.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Yes, you can apply to a company even if there is not a position listed on their website.

Lots of studios are always on the lookout for talent and may make a hire if the right person comes along even if the position isn't urgently needed.

Most companies will also make some attempt to fill a position internally (does anyone here know someone/has worked with someone before who would be good for this position?) before they make a public posting.
  • AndresZambrano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you can apply to a company even if there is not a position listed on their website.

Lots of studios are always on the lookout for talent and will make a hire if the right person comes along even if the position isn't urgently needed.

Most companies will also make some attempt to fill a position internally (does anyone here know someone/has worked with someone before who would be good for this position?) before they make a public posting.
    Makes sense, thank you! I imagine that the process is to write an email with a link to your portfolio right? Would sending a resume be needed?
  • CrackRockSteady
    cover letter/email, portfolio link, and resume are standard, yes.

some companies will have a form you fill out via their website.

Check this out as well:  http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry

There are a bunch of links that cover topics like cover letter, resume, etc
  • AndresZambrano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cover letter/email, portfolio link, and resume are standard, yes.

some companies will have a form you fill out via their website.

Check this out as well:  http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry

There are a bunch of links that cover topics like cover letter, resume, etc
    Excellent, thank you!
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Just about all companies explicitly invite you to send in a general application if there's no position open that suits you, but I've never actually heard of anyone getting hired that way.