Home General Discussion

A Plague Tale: Innocence

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
Anyone playing this and are their any artists that worked on it around here? I am really impressed at the graphical fidelity, especially from a small studio that seems to be using their own engine as well. I'd love to know what they did to achieve it all. From the look of it a lot of it must be photogrammetry, either that or they have some amazing substance artists. I wonder if it's largely bought content from the likes of quixel or done in house?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I tried the game yesterday, and in the beginning screens, you can see that Megascans were used in the game.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    The game is really great. Watched a couple of gameplay vids on youtube. I think this is a very refreshing take on gameplay compared to the type of games we have been seeing for some time now. I am hoping it does well in sales. The gameplay reminds me a lot of Beyond good and evil how u meet new characters on your journey who have certain skills and how u can evaluate and use them to solve puzzles and fight.
    The characters that join u are well designed as well as the skills they have. Also nice choice of weapon for the main character.
    I think this is the way forward for rpg games where u control a couple of characters on screen, it is sort of turn based yet refreshing and keeps the gameplay on the go. 
    To the devs, congrats. Really looking forward to what they come up with next. The puzzles were well designed too.
    This game came out from nowhere and some ppl are saying it might be a potential contender for game of the year. Imho, I think they should be appladed for trying something fresh and sticking with it. We need more games like this and not a rinse and repeat, clone or hybrid of games already released. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I'd really like to know how they did the sea of rats, lol
    Combination of titlable material + particles I think.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Watching Jim Sterlings Video right now and he has nothig but praise. Also checked out the art dumps on Art Station. Fantastic work all around, especially the Architecture work is top notch. Good for them. Hopeit will sell well, because just the whole concept deserves support. Might get it when i got aPC that can handle it maxed out.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    I bought it yesterday after watching some gameplay and the Sean Bean trailer :smiley: The graphic is very good, the gameplay is mostly stealth phases+walking simulator. Basically you buy it for the story but there are a lot of adrenaline rush moments that are very well implemented. 
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Hey guys, I'm a character artist from Asobo Studio and worked on A Plague Tale: Innocence. I'm really glad you are enjoying the game!

About your question concerning graphical fidelity, some textures were outsourced and I guess were made with Substance. However most of them were either made in Photoshop or from Megascan. The great variety you can see in the game comes from blending those materials and breaking them up with decals.

Our lead artist, Olivier Cannone, talks about it a bit more here

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Congrats @Popol and to your team as well :) The game looks amazing!
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    @Popol 
    U guys did a great job. Looking forward to what u guys come up with next. The level design and puzzles were great. 
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    @Justo and @melviso Thanks guys :)

Artstation released an art blast of A Plague Tale : Innocence, you can check it out right here

Here's some samples of the art blast :

• Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    @Popol You did an amazing job on the character art. All the art in general was top notch.
    The characterization was also just done so well done. Voice acting was so good! I really cared for the main characters. Especially the boy.
    I don't think I've ever been so attached to characters in a game before!

I rarely finish games these days but I was propelled through this one and had to finish it ;)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Awesome graphics + unique game design? Gotta buy this one.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @Popol Awesome to see a character artist in PC from this game. Yeah, I've seen you around here multiple times, but amazing to know that you were working on this. Even though I haven't bought the game yet, I will at some point. I've heard so many good things about it.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    @Fomori Thanks Fomori, it's awesome to hear that you liked the game that much!
    @Alex Javor Yes definitely, plus it's 25% off during the Steam summer sales!
    @FourtyNights Yeah, I've been wandering around Polycount for about 8 years now, haha.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    The game looks amazing!!!
  • Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    Recently finished this game. Very good game. The level design, voiceovers, animations and the entire art is on extreme level. It's incredible what a quite small studio can achieve with own engine. Good job.